'the Quark Model' - MIT rec

kruthimohan 5 / 15  
Since I'm an international student and my teacher has never written a rec before, he asked me to take a look at it to see if it's fine.

The most striking feature of Kruthi Mohan's character is her perseverance and promise. Her passion for Physics, especially Astrophysics, is enthralling. Her thirst for knowledge and obsession to arrive at a solution for every problem is something that I look for in every student.

Two years ago, when she first arrived at my lecture, she managed to create an excellent impression the very first day. Right from her doubts to her unwavering attention in the classroom, she possesses all qualities required of devoted student. Her concentration while solving problems is as strong as it is when she is researching on a topic outside the classroom. She never hesitates to clear concepts that she does not comprehend instantly; be it Superconducting Levitation or the Quark Model.

Despite a twelve-hour school schedule from 7 A.M. to 7 P.M. which can be very tiresome, she manages to hunt for more problems and explore deeper topics after school hours despite an existing heavy workload. That being said, she also tries her best to participate in every extracurricular activity that she possibly can.

I am very curious to see the mark she makes in her career especially because I have never come across a student in our school who has thought outside the realm of IIT that most students in India are obsessed with. Instead she chose to pursue her education in the U.S. which I think would suit her well considering the fact that she prefers exposure in every field as opposed to just academics. Accomplishing that balance between academics and extracurricular activities is where most students fail but Kruthi has managed to attain it quite well and that is exactly why I am certain that she would make a fine addition to your student fraternity.

Is it a good rec?
elephant1 2 / 16  
This is an amazing recommendation. It will definetly help you get into MIT.

Good Luck!!
OP kruthimohan 5 / 15  
Thank you!
Another question, he asked me to post it myself since he has an extremely busy schedule. Should I get it postmarked today itself (It's 31st in India already)

Or does MIT allow the recs to reach late? My two evaluations are ready but my counselor (my principal) still needs to fill the school report AND write a rec. And I'm afraid he won't be able to complete it in time. :(
silentspring 12 / 58  
Advice from MIT, HOPE THIS HELPS

mitadmissions/blogs/entry/show_dont_tell_the_college_ess
deremifri 9 / 137  
Have you ever read an evaluation that an employer gives his previous employee, who was just average and often late?
Such an evaluation is marked by the fact that it's usually quite positive, but there is nothing to back up the claims.
So, what this means for your evaluation is, that your teacher could tell a story.
He says your obsessed with finding a solution. A strong word, so certainly there must be a story where you proved your obsession, right?
Seeing that MIT receives evaluations for very good students I think that strong words and superlatives do not impress them anymore,
they want anecdotes ( as you can read in the actual formular)
My teacher talked for example about how I danced a balkan dance with a girl in front of the class, demonstrating my social skills and love for diversity.

Hope this helps
OP kruthimohan 5 / 15  
Thanks for letting me know that! I have included one of the instances where I found a problem beyond my academic level but asked my teacher to explain the concept so I could get it right and I did. :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'the Quark Model' - MIT rec