Questbridge - Concept That Intellectually Excites Me; Doctor Gary Meier's class

hannahlorelei 3 / 11  
Tell us about an experience you have had or a concept you have learned about that intellectually excites you. Why does it interest you, and what does this tell us about you?

By attending a Christian school, it is almost assumed that I am just another ignorant Christian who clings to the beliefs of my family. Up until I sat in Doctor Gary Meier's class, I had been.

Gary Meier, a man who has attended school for more years than I have been breathing, inspires his students to seek out their own answers to the multiple questions they have regarding religions. He challenges us to think outside the box and be willing to learn about things you are not necessarily comfortable with. He taught us not only to be firm in what we believe in and why we believe it, but also to branch out and learn about other religions as well. Doctor Meier showed me how to dig deeper when I am reading the Bible, and that the extra time spent to truly understand the topic is well worth it in the long run. In short, he taught us to seek out truth and gain wisdom and understanding as we build our knowledge. I had no idea that this thirst for knowledge would spread into other areas of academics.

Now that I have been taught how to learn for the sole purpose of learning, I have a much greater appreciation for school. While the rest of the class groans at the thirty-six pages of reading assigned in AP Biology, something inside me gets excited about the idea of expanding my knowledge of the world around me. I have used the studying habits that Doctor Meier taught me, and a subject that was already fairly interesting has become alive in my mind. From ecological footprints to cellular respiration, Biology envelops my thoughts. As I go through my day, I find myself examining the interactions between abiotic and biotic factors, and thinking about the impact that each step I take to my next class has on my own personal ecosystem-my body. Instead of viewing the class as just another step closer to college, or as an obligation, I have learned to view it as an opportunity to appreciate the complexity of life and to study more of what makes our world go around.

The sciences have always excited me, and as I pursue the knowledge in the way Doctor Meier taught me, my interest in Biology continues to increase. He taught me that there is always more to learn, and that is certainly the case in Biology. My love for science will give me a definite advantage in the area of medicinal studies, and my hunger for knowledge will drive me to learn in the deepest level possible. I had no idea that passion for knowledge can spread into every area of study; it is not restricted to a single subject. Doctor Meier taught me that, and I am exceedingly grateful for his challenge to me as a student, a hopeful intellectual, and a vessel of knowledge.
uscuscusc 9 / 27 2  
Gary Meier, a man who has attended school for more years than I have been breathing,
I love that part! its good. I didn't really see why it interests you, so try going more in depth with that.
quando04 2 / 11  
Why does it interest you, and what does this tell us about you?

I'm not sure how this essay answers those above questions. Perhaps you go more in depth into the experience?
quando04 2 / 11  
I think that this essay is good enough. You should now review your application and get ready to send!
And if you can, please help with my essays below. Thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / Questbridge - Concept That Intellectually Excites Me; Doctor Gary Meier's class