QuestBridge Short Essays for the National College Match

Neferbeth 1 / -  
Hello everyone, I will be applying for the National College Match next week, and I desperately need some feedback. I emailed some teachers and only few of them replied. This weekend I am doing final edits, and I appreciate any assistance on my essays. Thank you!

Part One: 200 words each

Tell us about a concept, theory, or subject that has piqued your intellectual curiosity. What steps have you taken or do you want to take to further explore that interest?

When the mail, I often find a variety of bills and local advertisements. I bring them home to discuss with my mom. This scene is common in my family. Sometimes, when my mom is out-of-town, the responsibility of managing money falls on me.

I am interested in finance. Growing up in a low-income family, I learned to be conscious with spending and a selective consumer. Although I never managed large sums of money, I gained personal finance experiences with managing my family's monetary resources. As a person who enjoys solving problems, finance piques my intellectual curiosity because it encourages me to think logically and execute the best plans within economic constraints. For instance, to make the best decisions, I must weigh the benefits and costs of an action: should we buy a new appliance now, or wait and save? Such questions were applicable both to my home life but also my clubs which also functions on budget.

To keep exploring my interest, I aim to take finance related classes alongside with computer science classes, or participate in fellowships and internships in college. Furthermore, I hope to pursue a graduate degree in business, specializing in finance.

2. If you could meet a character from a book or a historical figure, who would it be and what would you ask them?
Cinderella of the Grimm's Fairy Tale strikes me as an inspiring character because of her optimism and resilience in the midst of mistreatment and discrimination. However, her almost blind kindness toward her stepmother and stepsisters makes me want to question her regarding the worthiness of her generosity - is pure acceptance the best way to face oppression?

Cinderella succumbs to the demands and makes little efforts to change her life until the ball. Though acceptance is crucial, without the help of magic Cinderella's life will have changed minimally. As someone who cherishes the present, Cinderella's reactions are understandable. Her story prompts me to do the same with an exception: working to overcome them constantly using available resources. I have learned that miracles are essentially self-created in reality, and reminiscence can only be a source of motivation. Dealing with stress with such tactic made me emotionally mature - I was able to move on and refuse to let them hold me back from my potentials. I continue to embrace my experiences, good or bad; they are what defines me. Though I don't live the life of Cinderella, her attitude serves as one of my inspirations to always continue to believe in myself and future.
taytay10133 1 / 2 1  
"When the mail, I often find a variety of bills ... " should be "when the mail comes, i often find..."

"must weigh the benefits and costs of an action:" i would say pros and cons.

"... but also my clubs which also functions on a budget as well . "

your writing is very good:)

Home / Scholarship / QuestBridge Short Essays for the National College Match