Question about the CMC leadership essay

ElmersGlue 1 / -  
This is the essay prompt.

Leadership is a constant theme and emphasis at CMC. In fact, one of the ways we describe CMC students is "Leaders in the Making." Identify and discuss a person, fictional or nonfictional, who has helped shape culture and thought. You may select someone from any field: literature, the arts, science, politics, history, athletics, business, education, etc.

Do you think it would be OK if I write about my teacher at my school who helped shape how the school thinks of leadership? Like, before he came to our school, leadership among students didn't really exist, and then once he came, leadership finally became relevant and an active part of our school.

Do you think the prompt is asking for someone that is widely known?

And, if the person doesn't have to be widely known, do you think my topic would answer the prompt?

Thank you!
yf8651 16 / 31  
Hi,ElmerGlue!
I have the same question as you, I do not know clearly whether "shape culture and thought"have to be closely associated with the writer.

But in mt view, since admission officers want to know who you are not just how good your writing skill is, you need to write someone who know you well and can reflect what your personality is.

In this sense, famous people are not a good choice since they are too far away from our life.
This is just my viewpoint, take is as a reference.
I stared at this for a long time before figuring out what I wanted to say...

I think the right way to approach this is to announce a philosophy of leadership and then use this person as an example. Compare this person to a widely known person whose leadership is similar, and focus the essay on the concept, using the examples as support.
Ayshaya 2 / 10  
i think your teacher is just fine. using examples about the whole school would make it seem bigger while still staying personal to yourself. i would suggest writing up one about your teacher, then put that on here.

Home / Undergraduate / Question about the CMC leadership essay