Question on what topic I should write about (math/science applicant)

cdrappi 3 / 6  
I'm basically a pure math/science applicant. For my CommonApp essay, I can write about one of a few things:

1) At the beginning of my sophomore year, I tried to skip AB Calc and had to take an admission test. I failed it miserably, was totally humbled, and it has been one of the reasons I flourish at math to this day. (I ended up skipping AB Calc anyways, very successfully)

2) About my experience in a class of all seniors as a junior and how the pressure of that atmosphere made me participate more in a class (BC Calc). This made me challenge peers and even teachers more in this class and others, such as AP Chem or Government and Politics.

3) Non math/science: My house caught on fire after freshman year, and at 1:15 am, I was the only one awake. Needless to say, I got everyone awake and out of my house and we were all safe, including my dog. If I were not awake I'd probably not be here right now.

What say you? I know I'm a math/science applicant but writing about the fire might be a better story. I've tried to write an essay 3 times already and I haven't been satisfied.

Thanks for input.
Well, what do you need this essay to say about you that you haven't already covered in your other application essays? Which of these topics would best allow you to say it? The answers to these questions will determine which topic you pick.

If all three topics work equally well in regards to the above questions, though, go with number 3 -- it will yield an essay far more interesting and original than the others.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
What do you want to do with your math/science degree? Do you know yet? Why are you a math/science applicant? Do you have a passion for maths or sciences that you might describe vividly by means of some story? You can't really tell the fire story unless there's some point to it; otherwise it's sheer sensationalism, which might not hurt you but won't help either.
Simone is right. Pure sensationalism has never sold anything, certainly not to an American audience . . .
Liebe 1 / 542 2  
I think it is also fair to say that the first two topics are typically far from appealing to literally, anyone.
I personally think that when it comes to an admissions essay, no one cares about what you did with your academic life or how a moment in your high school academic life was 'life changing'; people want to know something meaningful about you, not just how you cope with academics. The 'academic' angle never does that great of a job in demonstrating personality or character.

Also, a long essay on academics can lead to the impression that academics is the most meaningful thing to that applicant. As Universities try to increase their diversity, rather than just admitting nerds, I doubt that those types of essays are appealing anyways.

^That is what I think.

Home / Undergraduate / Question on what topic I should write about (math/science applicant)