CC supplement question. why do you wish to attend?

zeem 2 / 5  
COLORADO COLLEGE SUPPLEMENT QUESTION 1
QUESTION: HOW DID YOU LEARN ABOUT COLORADO COLLEGE AND WHY DO YOU WISH TO ATTEND?

ANSWER:
After moving back to Colorado Springs from England, I realized I was ready and excited to go back to college. Before I did any research, I considered what I wanted from my college experience. I made a list, and broke it down into three categories. The first category was about work ethic:

- I want to be able to pace myself throughout the school year to avoid workload burnout.
- I want to learn things at a deeper level than the traditional "Cramming" approach.

Looking back at high school, I see now I fell into both of these traps. I found myself tired, and spread far too thin between too many subjects. I wrote these points as goals that I knew would only happen if I was committed to making them happen. Nevertheless, I hoped that I could find a college that would design the structure of their programs around these needs.

When I learned about CC's block plan through their website and brochures, I was amazed at how simply these two potential problems were solved. Workload burnout is very unlikely, because it will never be possible for a student to simultaneously deal with four papers and two tests on six different subjects. Through reading student testimonials, I know that CC workload tends to be high volume and fast paced. The difference between a workload at CC and that at a conventional school's is that, in the block plan, all work is focused on one subject at a time. This allows the student to feel space instead of constraint, and concentrated instead of aloof. This point also answers my second goal. Personally, I learn best when I am purely focused on one thing. Though I fell into burnout and cramming in high school, I was also lucky to move to England, where I only studied four subjects that were all Math and Science based. Through this structure, I was able to look at the bigger picture, and learn as if my school year was one giant block. Three years later, I have still retained most of what I learned in England. The block plan will provide me with an even better program than the one I experienced in England, and I hope to learn in a deeper way than I ever have because of it.

The next category in my list is just one point dedicated to something very important to me: the right setting.

- I want to go to a college that has small class sizes and puts teaching first.

In my experience, small class sizes and good teachers have led to my most productive learning. Through my research, I found that CC provides this setting, and, through the block plan, pushes both teacher and student to learn and teach in ways that no conventional college could. For the teacher, the three and a half week block provides a unique challenge. They have to create an engaging atmosphere that will hold the student's attention from start to finish. His or her lesson plan has to be perfectly orchestrated so that every day becomes valuable and useful to the student. For the student, the block plan structure provides just enough time constraint to keep them on top of their assignments and test dates. It is a subtle and friendly push that, in my experience, helps infinitely in getting things done. I believe these subtle, but well understood attributes of CC would meet my needs better than I could even describe when I first went about writing this list.

The third and final category is what made me certain that I wanted to go to CC:

- I want to go to a school that will not only teach me subjects, but also core life lessons that will help me succeed in the world.

- I want to contribute to a great community of like-minded people.

Looking at CC's 7 core values and mission, I thought about how similar my own values and goals were. My next thought centered on the two core values about social responsibility and environmental sustainability. I believe these principles are of upmost importance in preserving our world for the generations to come. I feel like I need to learn more in these subjects so that I can live more consciously in my own life, and contribute to the world in the most positive way possible. I was very happy to see that CC has a wide range of classes in both subjects. CC's core values and mission also made me realize how much I wanted to be part of a community that had such a great message at its core.

From the perfect learning environment to a great community, I am 100% certain that CC is the school for me. If I am accepted, I will jump with both feet into this great school and look forward to a great and successful future.

AND WHY DID YOU APPLY EARLY?

The first and foremost reason I am applying to CC for early decision is because I feel like I have found the college I want to go to, and wish to find out if I can as soon as possible. My wife Joy is finishing college on the Big Island of Hawaii, and finding out my college situation for next year is important to deciding on her own plans at college. Finally, I have to mention the fact that I am very excited for my college experience, and can't wait for next fall.
No comma necessary here: I made a list and broke it down into three categories.

the phrase "I want" has too large a presence in this essay. Can you just do it this way:
- A school that will not only teach me subjects, but also core life lessons that will help me succeed in the world.
- To contribute to a great community of like-minded people.

Also, the ending is not very good... "first and foremost" is not good... and neither is because I feel like I have found the college I want to go to, and wish to find out if I can as soon as possible.

Instead of just stating the simple truth, take this as an opportunity to show them that you are a methodical thinker and an expert about their school. It is like a riddle; why does an upcoming academic hero and professional over-achiever apply early? Present yourself powerfully at the end.
jindu85 6 / 20  
I think the idea of splitting the reasons into different categories is a good idea. But it seems to me that not much specific about CC is mentioned besides the block plan. It seems that this fits any school with a block plan (though not much). So I think you could add more details other than the block plan.

Of course, these are just some suggestions.

Home / Undergraduate / CC supplement question. why do you wish to attend?