Question: Why we have to write personal essays?

Zephyr003 2 / -  
I really don't understand why we have to write personal essays? It seems almost inadequate to me. They're telling us that it's important to find out what kind of student they're excepting, how is this supposed to aid admissions in accepting anyone? Personally I find it to be a competition of who can be the best story teller, the best fabricator, the best liar. Anyone can sit here behind a computer or behind a pencil and write up an entire story about their lives, fact or fiction, to make them sound like the ideal candidate to get into their dream school. This personal statement was created to be personal, how can anything be more impersonal than text? Personal means person to person, it means actually seeing and understanding someone, not just reading words they write down and blindly trusting what they say stands true.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
In our society, the written word is a very important way of communicating. Individuals are judged not only in academics but in the outside world by their abilities to communicate. Many times, such as when submitting job applications or resumes, our written communication is the only factor we are judged on. Therefore, being able to present oneself effectively is a very useful real-world tool.

While you may feel that this is frivolous competition this is the way our world works. We compete for jobs with resumes which are written, and that is not going to change. One of the reasons colleges and universities are built and function is to prepare people for the workforce, and that includes being prepared to present oneself on paper. Admission essay prompts such as the personal essay are a preliminary way in which schools evaluate whether or not a potential student has the abilities to keep up with the rigors of studies. While not every admissions prompt is a personal essay, it does help students assess, through their writing of the essay, how well he or she will be able to present themselves to the world when the time comes to earn their keep upon graduation.

These types of essays require that a student evaluate themselves and reflect upon their lives, two key tools used when studying. No matter what major/minor is declared, every student will be required to evaluate, analyze, and interpret information, and the personal essay calls upon those skills early on.

I am sorry that you already have such animosity toward the admissions process. Keep in mind that the personal essay is just one step during the admissions process, and most institutions do involve person-to-person meetings before the process is complete. Rarely is a steadfast decision made relying upon one single personal essay. Perhaps if you take a step back and calm down you will have more success in your application process.

Best of luck.

Home / Undergraduate / Question: Why we have to write personal essays?