Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Quick Essay about volunteering! 'member of the Villanova community'

maggiemay 2 / 5  
Prompt: One of the principles of Villanova, as an Augustinian university founded on the teachings of St. Augustine, is that students and faculty learn from each other. As you imagine yourself as a member of the Villanova community, what is one lesson that you have learned in your life that you will want to share with others

Thanks for any help in advance! I will gladly check out your essay if you give me feedback! thanks :)

Community Service and volunteer work played an important role in my life growing up. My parents taught me that it is important to help others and not just yourself. Ever since I was young, I volunteered at my school and my church. I actually enjoyed taking part in the various events, as most of the time my friends and family surrounded me as we worked to make our community a better place.

Irish dance has also allowed me to give back to others. Year round, my dance friends and I would take day trips to different hospitals, nursing homes, and St. Patrick's Day events. Upon arrival we would put together a small show, lasting anywhere from half an hour to two hours. Not only was I helping put smiles on people's faces, I was benefiting as well: dancing in front of crowds and people I didn't know helped instill self-confidence.

As I grew up and entered high school, volunteer work continued to play an important part in my life. I continued to dance for charities; however, I added more community service activities. This time, though, was slightly different. When I was younger my parents were the ones encouraging me to volunteer and give back to my community, but upon entering high school I began to take things into my own hands. Whenever my friends brought up an activity or event needing volunteers I was quick to respond, always taking them up on the offer. In tenth grade I was introduced to the Challenger Baseball Tournament. I enjoyed helping children with special needs throughout the event and it made me very happy to see them so excited to play baseball. I was also introduced to the AHS Buddies program in tenth grade. I am very proud to say that I have volunteered more than 115 hours with this program. Many of the kids I helped, worked with, and became friends with were so sincere and truly appreciated all students who took time to visit them. In tenth grade I went to their lunch and really got to know them, while in eleventh grade I went to their gym class and encouraged them to participate. Although I was doing community service and volunteer work, it never felt like an obligation or work. It was a genuine good time and I loved spending time with the children with disabilities in the Buddies program.

This past summer I became involved in the Vassar Brothers Hospital Summer Volunteer program. I did small things, but in the long run, the projects I took part in were important to the patients and timesaving for the nurses. I plan on participating in Vassar's program again later this year.

I have learned that community service and volunteer work, while they are an obligation, should not be viewed negatively. I have found that I get more out of it then I have to put into it. The benefits far out weigh the time and effort I put in.

Home / Undergraduate / Quick Essay about volunteering! 'member of the Villanova community'