"Not quite an enigma" -Stanford Prompt

BluePurgatory 1 / 1  
Prompt: Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. What would you want your future roommate to know about you? Tell us something about you that will help your future roommate -- and us -- know you better.

I am an enigma. I wish I was cool and mysterious enough to describe myself in such a way. I've spent too much of my time learning inane tidbits that will undoubtedly serve no purpose in my future. Did you know emus can blink sideways? Well I do. The only benefit to such knowledge is an uncanny advantage in Trivial Pursuit. I love politics, but hate debating on them. Politics are one of the many things that people simply never change their opinion on, no matter how skillfully you craft your rhetoric. I don't fight battles I know I can't win. I am proud to say that I am a morning person. I am sympathetic for those that feel the need to lie in bed, mercilessly smashing the snooze button for a few more precious minutes of sleep. I love watching stand-up comedy, and I love short jokes that I can quote to my friends. I enjoy reading, but I'm not a big fan of vampires that sparkle, or magical teens with lightning-shaped scars. I enjoy crime dramas, but constantly gripe about how unrealistic they are. My favorite questions are those without an answer. I like watching street magicians, and pointing out their tricks. I tell myself I'm a good singer, as I abuse the nonexistent eardrums of my showerhead or car stereo. I'm a bit claustrophobic, which may prove problematic if the rumors I've heard about dormitory sizes are true. I'm a master of Sudoku, but I can't play more than one game at a time; it gets unbearably boring. I don't like poetry simply because the quality of a poem is often equated with how difficult it is to understand the point. I feel that too many people don't live life to the fullest. My philosophy is this: if life gives you lemons, don't just make lemonade. Try to find something even better.

I feel that the biggest problem is there isn't really enough to connect it all together. Agree/Disagree? Any feedback helps.
lowcal 12 / 27  
this is a very good way to portray yourself. maybe you should give a shot at put some transitions here and there.
OP BluePurgatory 1 / 1  
Thank you for the quick reply. I appreciate the advice.
kidhihihi 2 / 2 1  
I think it's great. =)

If you want to connect them together, I think you can add a last sentence which connects back to your opening idea of being an "enigma."
At the beginning, you introduce the idea of an enigma, disqualify yourself from being one, and then change the subject to trivia without giving any explanation of the was you might like to be an enigma or the ways you are not an enigma. So... I recommend working on that.

However, more importantly, this is a great great essay!!

Tis essay needs to be divided into 2 or 3 paragraphs, and you should come up with ONE main theme that you put forth both at the start and at the end. Let the first para introduce the main idea and give examples, and then the second para can be about another dimension of the main idea, and the last para can find a clever way to reinforce the main idea again.

It should be easy to meet that challenge, because you have so many good examples. So... I challenge you to identify the main idea of yourself, ha ha. :-)

Home / Undergraduate / "Not quite an enigma" -Stanford Prompt