Ranked 4th nationally and 9th internationally; UCHICAGO/ Why?

whitezebra 7 / 20 3  
If anyone could give me feedback on this, it would be greatly appreciated! :) Please please please be honest, criticism is welcome! Thank you!!!!

How does the University of Chicago, as you know it now, satisfy your desire for a particular kind of learning, community, and future? Please address with some specificity your own wishes and how they relate to UChicago.

It goes without saying that the University of Chicago is an exceptional school in all respects. Ranked 4th nationally and 9th internationally, it is a school anyone would have the privilege to attend. It is not merely the high ranks that interest me in going to this school, however. One of my strongest desires in attending such a prestigious university is to receive a high quality of education. It may seem clichĂŠ, but knowledge truly is power, and although I am only seventeen, I have seen how meaningful this overused statement really is. Education is an undeniably important aspect of life; it provides the tools for people to think critically and understand the world around them. Not only that, learning is enjoyable - at least it is for me. I'm not going to say that I love school - that wouldn't be very truthful - but I'd never turn down the chance to research the origins of a certain food dish or look up the molecular formula for ATP. UChicago is the only school that will be able to quell my insatiable hunger for learning, and help me continue my search for academic "self-actualization". I believe that this college shares my views in that receiving an education is more than just getting a letter on a piece of paper. It is a way of expanding the mind and preparing oneself for the future, and that is why UChicago is my ideal university.

From the moment I visited UChicago's website at the start of my college search, I knew there was something special about the school. The friendly manner in which it addressed students, the easy-to-follow instructions, the quirky yet engaging essay topics; they were all aspects that stood out to me. It gave me the impression that UChicago is more than just a school; it is a community that places emphasis on the importance of getting to know its students, both current and prospective. This unique emphasis is very important to me, as I believe that schools should play an active role in students' lives, apart from their academics. As a young person, I know firsthand how significant it can be to have an authoritative figure actually show interest in you. Knowing that there is a person, or in this case a whole institution, that genuinely cares about its students creates a healthier, friendlier relationship between the two, as opposed to a purely clinical, business-like approach that can distance students rather than attract them. This amiability is a rare quality to find in a college, and is another contributing factor to what makes UChicago so outstanding.

There is no doubt that UChicago is a world-renowned institution that any student would dream of attending. Not only is it reputable for academic excellence, it encourages the significance of education as well; a sentiment we have in common. UChicago also values its students and engages them more than any school I have seen; a distinguishing quality that truly makes this school stand out among the others. I am hopeful that one day I will don the distinctive maroon and white school colors and be able to call the University of Chicago my home.
Dabbagh 7 / 11 1  
Very well-written. I liked it a lot, especially how you talked about them knowing their students. My only concern is that there's an overly-excited vibe that needs to be toned down. You want to show them that you want it, but not absolutely desperate for it. In reality, we're all desperate for a UChicago acceptance lol. But it makes you look a bit weak to them if you over-do it.

Hope I helped! Please help me on my Stanford roommate essay!

Home / Undergraduate / Ranked 4th nationally and 9th internationally; UCHICAGO/ Why?