Reaching out to the Disadvantaged Families - College admission essay OUTLINE

rbaunach 1 / -  
This is just an outline of what I'm going to write, but some things i've drawn a blank on! I'm supposed to be writing about how I could provide service since 80 hrs of service are required over the four years. I need to make it stand out as much as possible. Are there any "do's" or "don'ts" that would help me write this essay? Thanks for your help!

Reaching out to the Disadvantaged Families

A. Service & Experience
a. What kind of service would you offer?
i. Volunteering in homeless shelters, donating items like books, clothes, and toys to the needy, collecting food for the community.
1. Serving food in a homeless shelter on a holiday: thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. Taking time out of my holiday celebrations to serve them.
2. I want to major in nursing - homeless shelter idea: passing out sanitary items such as soap, hand sanitizer, body wash, toothpaste, etc.
ii. Being the one to actually give these families the items they need is much more valuable to them than receiving these items from a company.

b. What experience, skills, or motivation do you have?
i. Serving a thanksgiving feast to homeless families in downtown Louisville.
1. They were all very thankful - much more thankful and appreciative than many people would think.
a. I couldn't stop smiling the whole night at how happy everyone was to be there.
2. Seeing them leave happy and being able to give the leftover food to the families who need it.
ii. Providing school supplies and clothes for kids who are about to start school in the fall
1. Knowing that I could help families who couldn't afford school supplies for their kids and how that will impact the kids
a. The kids in those families know that their not alone and hopeless and they are able to have school supplies for school just like all the other kids.

b. No child needs to feel left out or different because they don't have simple necessities.
2. My job was to help kids find shoes for the new school year - most of them just took whatever they could find, even if it wasn't there exact size. If it fit at all, they took it.

iii. Motivation
1. Seeing people who have close to nothing being happy with what they have and thankful that they're alive
2. Realizing that material things can't make a person happy, but being with family and sharing things with other people is what matters.
c. Why is this service valuable?
i. Helping families in need is one of the most valuable kinds of service there is. The children in that family are the ones who are struggling the most, and by seeing that there is help available lets them know that they will never be completely hopeless.

ii. The children now will soon be the adults in this world and it is vital to do as much as possible to let them know that they're important and needed.

B. Challenges & Disappointments
a. What Challenges and disappointments would you expect to encounter?
i. Not being able to provide as much as I would like to
1. There's always a certain limit where you have to stop giving essential items because it will teach the kids that everything will be given to them when it will not.

ii. Not being able to round up enough volunteers
1. Only a few people might be willing to visit a homeless shelter on holidays
2. College students would always have something else to do and they wouldn't be able to attend visits, but instead I could check with local churches to see if they're willing.

b. How might you cope with these problems?
i. By understanding that many people might be busy and cannot contribute, but still proceeding with the plans regardless of how many people show up.

ii. Looking outside campus grounds and asking the community churches for volunteers.
C. Coordinating service with academics
a. How would you coordinate your service with your academic work and other responsibilities?
i. I'm planning on majoring in nursing and there are always opportunities open for service work in this field.
1. Recruiting other nursing majors to go to hospitals or homeless shelters to provide care.
2. Taking trips to nearby schools to teach kids about health in general and providing care if needed.
ii. My main responsibilities will be my academic work and my service work.
iii. I plan on visiting Haiti or another third-world country on a mission trip to provide healthcare for the families who have been impacted by disasters.

b. How would your service be related to your academic, professional and personal goals?
i. With my academic and professional goals I am going to give all my effort and strive at everything that I do.
StephR 4 / 14 1  
there was alot of very good information in this outline, some suggestions i would give you is to mayb include like a past experience with volunteering and how you could continue doing it and get like more personal with like what you want to do and how what u have done so far and how it made you feel. maybe like even a short anecdote in the beginning about like one of your experiences or something. those are just my suggestions

Home / Undergraduate / Reaching out to the Disadvantaged Families - College admission essay OUTLINE