I read "Opposite of Loneliness" - yale supp: why yale and a bunch of short answers

iloveyogurt 9 / 17 5  
Please critique! Will critique back.

1.) What in particular about Yale has influenced your decision to apply? (Please answer in 100 words or less.)
I read "Opposite of Loneliness" by Marina Keegan'12 on a snowy midnight. I looked up to the bottomless sky. I kept thinking what if I could be part of the immense energy at the Ingalls Rink, of the endless intellectual challenges offered through the Directed Studies, of the many interconnected circles from the residential colleges, the four cultural centers, the freshman seminars, the journalism initiatives and many more. This giant web that Marina kept referring to - it only seems so natural that I am part of this whole, that I am a Yalie myself.

count: 96

2.) Please respond in 150 characters (roughly 25 words) or fewer to each of the questions below:
a. You have been granted a free weekend next month. How will you spend it?Camping out in a secluded area without cellphone or computer. Lying in the tent, I will imagine myself a big bug while reading Metamorphosis by Kafka.

b. What is something about which you have changed your mind in the last three years?My intended college major. It changed from business and engineering, to history and international relations, to philosophy and literature.

c. What is the best piece of advice you have received while in high school?"you should pursue something because you want to, not because you evaluate a pursuit as making some sort of sense."

d. What do you wish you were better at being or doing?Understanding popular music. I don't listen to music with words because the musicality overshadows the lyrics, and I fail to distinguish the words.

tell me if this makes sense, I really struggled to explain it in 25 words...

e. What is a learning experience, in or out of the classroom, that has had a significant impact on you? this one needs to cut down...A black friend called me out for being a racist when I joked that he looked like a starving African. After two daysof self-blaming and self-denial, I thanked him for educating me.

I would really like to add the bolded part in but don't have enough words. sad face :(
OP iloveyogurt 9 / 17 5  
And FYI Marina Keegan was an incredibly talented writer/yale graduate who died days after her graduation... This piece that I mentioned "Opposite of Loneliness" is INCREDIBLY MOTIVATIONAL, and y'all should read it... It caught national attention before Ms.Keegan died in a car accident.
jordancarf 1 / 4 1  
I'm not sure if this is close enough to your style, but anyways,
"A black friend called me racist when I joked that he looked like a starving African. After some self-denial, I thanked him for educating me."
cocamb 4 / 15 1  
I really liked the creativity of your responses, but the last one, letter e, is a little blunt
compared to the rest of your answers. It has a very different tone from the rest of your
answers, but if that's what you were trying to do than it's totally fine!
I really loved your first response and letter d, Good Job!! :)

Home / Undergraduate / I read "Opposite of Loneliness" - yale supp: why yale and a bunch of short answers