Ready to complete English degree-Readmission Essay/Personal Statement for Application

RedWasp 1 / -  
"Personal Statement: If you are applying for readmission or have had a gap year, summarize your activities since you last attended the College of Charleston and why you wish to return."

Readmission Essay

My last year at the College of Charleston was not as successful as I would like it to have been. While I left the school in good academic standing, my grades and coursework had fallen to a level that I would not consider my usual standard, and I was generally unhappy with my work. Ultimately, I left the College of Charleston due to feelings of disillusion and a lack of direction in my academic career.

After leaving the college, I immediately began seeking full-time work in the office and clerical field, with little success. While working part-time retail to pay the bills, I decided to pursue a from-home business designing jewelry and accessories. I created and ran a successful website for sales and promotion of my designs, in addition to doing sales in person at various craft and trade shows around the Eastern United States. In addition to running my accessory business, I also found employment in the entertainment industry, working occasionally on film and television projects in the Atlanta, Georgia area, including a featured role as a zombie in the AMC television show The Walking Dead. I feel that these experiences have helped me grow as an individual over the last several years. Running my own business has instilled in me a whole new set of life skills relating to promotion and marketing, web design, and budgeting for small business. I value these skills and experiences, but I now realize that continuing my education and completing my degree will only further my future job opportunities. I now know that my ideal career will be in an office setting, using many of the real-world skills I have acquired through job experience, as well as the qualifications achieved through a four year degree.

I now know that I am ready to return to my education and complete my English degree, in order to achieve my new career goals. The prospect of returning to school is exciting for me and I know that I can achieve great things at the College of Charleston. The time that I have spent away from school has helped me to plan a new direction in my life and I now feel confident in moving forward to continue my education.

*********************

Thanks for any feedback guys. This is my first post on this forum, so I hope I'm putting this where it belongs. I was a little uncertain while writing this. I've been out of school for four years and haven't written a proper essay in quite a while... Just lots of blogging, which is hardly the same thing. So, I was just hoping for some feedback on how I did. Thanks!
beccalevesque - / 45  
I value these skills and experiences, but I now realize that continuing my education and completing my degree will onlyallow me to further my future job opportunities.

I now know that I am ready to return to my education and complete my English degree, in order to achieve my new career goals. Needs re-wording

It's great that you include your goals. Thats very important.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

Your essay sounds great so far. Aside from a few grammatical errors, the only problem is that you do not talk about how your English degree will help you in the future. I would also add what aspects of the college do you feel will most help you earn the grades you desire going forward. Example: Since I have been away from college for X years, I will take full advantage of the touring resources to ensure my grades are in line with my expectations.... - admissions essay advice

Hope This Helps.

Home / Undergraduate / Ready to complete English degree-Readmission Essay/Personal Statement for Application