"ready to return to my learning state of mind" - SCAD STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

richk 1 / 1  
So young, but so determined to be the best of what I could make of myself. Artistic from the beginning, but was always motivated to build upon this talent. At the age of thirteen I took my skills to another level. I decided to experiment with digital artwork. After experimenting with a variety of different software, I found the program Adobe Photoshop, which is the program that contains most of my experience. I taught myself a lot of things and in a matter of time I began exposing my skills to others, which led me to jobs for local music artists, non-for-profit organizations, club owners, party promoters, and many more. Being paid at such a young age was wonderful, but my downfall slowly came around the age of fifteen, as I was introduced into alcohol.

Rushing home from school, I would be so excited to sit in front of the computer screen and learn something new every day. While other children would rather go play sports and games, I found art more fun. Whether I realized it or not, I was preparing myself for a bright future. As my skills progressed, I started entering in magazine and video game designing contests. In 2005, I entered in Need for Speed: Most Wanted's Vinyl Design Contest which I placed top ten. The following year, I entered in Modified Magazine Scion TC Design Contest which I was placed under honorable mentioned. Receiving these awards helped build my confidence and I began to expose my skills to others.

After my skills were gradually exposed, my social networks gathered one by one. Most of my work was flyer advertisement designs for parties. I figured since the flyer designs were for parties, I could attend these parties in order for my networks to further grow. Eventually I found myself a stable income, especially with the radio station as one of my major employers. As I continued going to parties, my networks continued to increase, but so did my attachment for alcohol. In the course of time, I led myself to become a young alcoholic.

Throughout my life, I always thought I would pursue my dreams in having a career with graphic designing. It all started out as fun and turned into something I loved doing. I found myself going to parties to build a network, but after a period of time it was no longer about the networking at the parties, it just became about the parties. My old love was loss, as I was too addicted to this lifestyle. It only brought me problems and the alcohol only contributed to more problems. It sooner gave me a DUI and a series of tickets. After going through a year of Alcoholics Anonymous, I learned a lot about myself. One of the things I learned was that I did not want to be an alcoholic; I want to be a graphic designer.

My learning stopped for an ample amount of time; however I am ready to return to my learning state of mind. Pursuing my studies in graphic design at SCAD will help what is left of the dreams I had when I was younger. I am prepared to be introduced to new techniques and new forms of art. I am ready to take on the fresh challenges of SCAD in order to prove to myself that I still have what it takes to become the best.
Wanderer_x 5 / 88  
My old love was loss lost, as I was too addicted to this lifestyle.

My learning stopped for an ample amount of time; however I am ready to return to my learning state of mind.

I should tell you that this line indicates that you have yet not "returned" back (ready to return). So, instead, you can state that you have overcome your addiction and have been pursuing your interest with much more vigor and passion since you have realised what you truly aspire to be.

After going through a year of Alcoholics Anonymous, I learned a lot about myself. One of the things I learned was that I never wanted to be an alcoholic; I want to be a graphic designer.

These lines are the most important part of your essay.So you may highlight these lines by expanding a bit for to make your essay more impactful.
I think you should chop off that melodramatic first sentence. Start with this:
Artistic from a young age, I was always motivated to build upon this talent.

You can write either not-for-profit or non-profit

Most of my work was flyer advertisement designs for parties. I figured since the flyer designs were for parties, I could attend these parties in order for my networks to further grow.---- awesome! You are my hero. I think you will do very well!!

here is an idea for you:
My learning "plateaued" and stopped for an ample amount of time; however I am ready to return to my learning state of mind.

:-)
linmark 2 / 328 7  
My old love wasloss did you mean lost ? , as I was too addicted to this lifestylealcohol (??). It only brought me problems and the alcohol only contributed to more problems. It sooner gave me a DUI and a series of tickets. What do you mean by DUI and a series of ticket?

I still have what it takes to become the best.

No need to undersell yourself!!!
OP richk 1 / 1  
I changed most of the mistakes already and already turned in my statement.

Thanks guys! This is a really nice forum. You are all very helpful!

Home / Undergraduate / "ready to return to my learning state of mind" - SCAD STATEMENT OF PURPOSE