"The Real Purpose of Social Networks" UT Transfer Admissions Essay

taytayy 2 / 3  
Prompt:
Choose a personal, school related, local, political, or international issue - and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

This is what I kind of have so far. I feel that it could be a little more organized. I'm afraid that it might seem like i'm rambling and the main point is not distinguished. But like my title says, I basically wanted to point out that nobody really connects these days. The use of social networks isn't to bridge long lost friends but is now used as a tool to branch out your life to other's in meaningless ways.

"I awaken from the morning light, and crawl up to my living room couch. Routinely, I turn on my computer and check up on the social news of other people, which feeds my interest. As I begin to scroll through facebook, all I see are unnecessary status about how one got drunk the previous night, or how much of a brainless individual one can be. As it is tempting to wonder who this "girl who'll never have a life" must be, I stop myself from being a part of this story.

These days, I get invitations to join every kind of social network possible. My eyes sweep through my e-mail as I see the variety of Asian-interest networks, social network sites for people who just want friends (even if they are strangers), and networks for you to simply get connected to your own friends. Facebook, with 150 million active users today, used to be an exclusive site made for alumnus to be able to find each other through the years. It didn't matter if you wanted to join or not, you couldn't get in unless you were exclusively invited by someone who went to your high school approved that you, indeed, graduated from the same school. Social networks have strayed very far from its true purpose in the past few years. Today, as I mentioned previously, all I see are a sea of tearful words made public, people posting pictures to prove to others they have a social life other than the internet, or people making false promises. It is all about reputation on social networks in this generation.

All day, I read false promises where friends/acquaintances promise to hang out with each other, but never actually make the effort to proceed with the next step. "Hey! Yeah, We'll definitely hangout. Just call me!" Everybody throws it around like it's the new hello. But when I read it I expect it. It really made me think what Facebook has become when my close childhood friend messaged me on a late afternoon. Unlike the her I use to know, the message she heartedly wrote read how she missed the old times as she dug through the letters I wrote to her when I moved to unfamiliarity. A message like that was something I thought I'd never receive; it made me grateful that somebody truly appreciates the reason social networks exists. There was the thought put into the greeting, there was the bridge connecting two friends, and there was the definition of a friendship."

Thanks!
Zeinab1383 5 / 43  
Dear tracy
You have chosen an interesting issue but I think you have a very negative point of view toward social networks. you can have a more moderate sight covering positive sides.
mea505 - / 265  
Tracy,

I would have to agree with Zainab, in that you picked a topic for which you have a very negative view. I wonder if you can find any positive views about "social networks" with your essay? Surely, there are some positive aspects of the social networks that appear today.

--Mark :)
OP taytayy 2 / 3  
Thank you for your opinions! Other than adding positive aspects of social networks, Is there any other comments to ..style of writing?
carlynnross 4 / 7  
It would help to comment on the power of social networking
jonb 2 / 5  
Yes, it's true what you've said about social networking, but try and balance it out with the subtle positive effects, then you can come out hard with the negative side (which you've done already)

And, as the question states, 'Choose a personal, school related, local, political, or international issue - and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation,'

Focus more an the significance of social networking - positive or negative, on you or your generation as a whole.

Cheers

Home / Undergraduate / "The Real Purpose of Social Networks" UT Transfer Admissions Essay