"that real-world element" - why is stanford a good match for you

rayban11 7 / 24  
please be as critical as possible! the more critical, the better :)

Tell us what makes Stanford a good place for you. (250 words/1800 characters)
I first read Adam's Smith Wealth of Nations when I was ten, and my subscription to The Economist began when I was twelve. However, at that time, I had no idea what I was reading. I didn't know the difference between deflation and disinflation or between mutual funds and hedge funds. More importantly though, it lacked context for me. I couldn't relate to the text. To me, it was simply a massive compilation of jargon based on even more abstruse theory. It was meaningless for me.

One of the most important elements I am looking for in my undergraduate experience is the opportunity to apply the knowledge I am learning to the real world. Being able to attend lectures of world-renowned professors is a privilege, but it is not enough. Even though they can probably articulate the theory better than anyone else, it's pointless unless I can understand it and apply it later on. Therefore, I have to build my own context. At Stanford, whether it is a grant to study the current health care reform at SIEPR or an semester spent interning in D.C., I will be able to explore the theory outside of the classroom. Not only will I have access to a unparalleled faculty, but I also have the opportunity to apply the theory to solve real-world problems. Although I realize that much of public policy rely on theory, Stanford uniquely incorporates that real-world element that I am looking for. Although I must create meaning for myself, there's no better place to assist me than Stanford.
afwebb 6 / 17  
I first read Adam's Smith Wealth of Nations when I was ten, and my subscription to The Economist began when I was twelve. However, at that timeIn retrospect , I had no idea what I was reading. I didn't know the difference between deflation and disinflation or between mutual funds and hedge funds. More importantly though, I it lacked any context for me behind it all (careful of the passive voice, adm people don't seem to like it) .

Good essay if you ask me. Not the most original, but i think its best you don't use the gimmicks you would for a general essay in this type. I think it's plenty entertaining and thoughtful, just a few minor fixes and you'll be good.
OP rayban11 7 / 24  
thank you very much! i can't believe i made all those grammatical/usage mistakes. i also realized that i wrote adam's smith instead of adam smith's. haha so embarrassing. sorry, i'm really sleep deprived these few days :)

Home / Undergraduate / "that real-world element" - why is stanford a good match for you