Recent academic challenge - math studying

consyt 2 / 8  
Describe a recent academic challenge you have faced.
Explain how you overcame it.*

For as long as I can remember, math has always been a difficult subject for me; in elementary school, it took me weeks to comprehend basic division and multiplication. Although throughout these last couple of years my math skills have improved, it's still a challenge for me to ace any math class. Last year when I enrolled in pre-calculus, I knew right away it wasn't going to be easy. The trigonometry functions, all the graphs and the complex equations left me dazed, I had never felt so overwhelmed. When studying for the tests and quizzes I couldn't help but to feel lost in a sea of arduous notes; I knew I needed help, from then on I made it my number one priority to attend all the after school tutoring I could- even if it meant I had to sacrifice some activities. To my surprise, the one on one sessions with my teacher made a tremendous difference- my grade went up a whole letter grade, and although it wasn't an A, I was extremely proud of myself, I knew I did the best I could.

At first I didnt really know what to say so I know its kind of bad.
Please help im open to suggestions.
Hi,

AlthoughHowever , throughout these last couple of years my math skills have improved. , it's still a challenge for me to ace any math class .------ I think you should not tell that you are still not good at maths because they expect you to write about a challenge that you have successfully dealt with and overcome the problem. Therefore this part of your sentence rather reduces the strength of your case.
OP consyt 2 / 8  
thank you
I don't think it is bad. You wrote it in a way that clearly shows that the reason you struggle in math is because you are a verbal person instead of a math person (Google "multiple intelligences" gardner). I think anyone who reads this will feel like they already know you a little bit and appreciate your great writing style.

My only complaint is that you could have written about a struggle associated with your career objectives. Every reader is impressed with the kids who are being proactive about studying the subjects that interest them. You could write about a struggle directly related to your ongoing effort to carry out a plan -- a plan that involves this school to which you're applying.

Home / Undergraduate / Recent academic challenge - math studying