Reed offers variety and exposure - and that's what made me a great scholar, not specialization

Pegasus /  
I was waitlisted at Reed College and they're letting me send a new "why reed" essay, please help! Thanks so much!

Modern psychologists have debunked the theory that people are either left-brained or right-brained, but that concept - kept alive by pop culture and online personality quizzes - still seems to dictate the way we perceive students.

Since starting the time-honored college application process, I've noticed a deep divide between the creative and logical world. It seems you can go down the artistic path, full of creation and self exploration, or the analytical path, full of data and research. Since the two worlds contradict so much, it's ill-advised to have a go at both. It's best to cup your hands around your eyes and concentrate on your field.

So when I explain that I want to go to med school and study art, it raises eyebrows.
"When I grow up," I want to spearhead an innovative disease oriented research team and join Doctors Without Borders, all while organising human rights rallies and illustrating articles for time magazine in my downtime. My parents try their best to sound supportive while subtly persuading me to pursue my more intellectual interests, afraid the dreaded "art major" will land me sleeping on a friend's box-spring couch.

Our society puts a lot of emphasis on these alleged "left-brain" practices, but the dogma that creative fields are separate from logical fields is crippling. Taking an anatomy class with prior knowledge of renaissance art, or leafing through old chemistry notes to better manipulate a mixture of acrylic paint and rubbing alcohol has allowed me to produce more successful, innovative work than my blinder-wearing counterparts. While specialization made me a good scholar, variety and exposure made me a great scholar.

That's why Reed excites me so much; not only does it understand the liaison between art and science, it has created an environment where the two can openly celebrate their relationship instead of asking me to pass each other notes in the back of class. I need a balance of creativity and logic in my life, and I know Reed can provide one. Spending my college career here will stimulate both sides of my soul - artistic and scientific - and ultimately help me cultivate a variety of interests. No economy, society, or humanity can thrive with only one hemisphere of it's brain, and neither can I.
lcturn87 - / 435 236  
I think this is a very creative essay on stating why you want to go to Reed College. Much of it seems like you want to avoid the conventional and monotonous routine and structure that is imposed upon you. Avoid using "blinder-wearing counterparts" and "asking me to pass each other notes in the back of class". This is a strong essay and you want admissions to understand who you are. However, it may seem like you are being critical. Yet, I know you want to stand out as a scholar.

I looked on this college's site and it said you aren't going to be distinguished by academic ability or promise. Also, there is a yearlong humanities course. Read the "About Reed" section, especially the Mission of the College and The Reed Education under that heading. This could give you an idea of something you missed, if anything. I went to a liberal arts college and sometimes they want to know if you are a good fit. I hope they can see that this letter was well executed.

Home / Undergraduate / Reed offers variety and exposure - and that's what made me a great scholar, not specialization