"thank you for reevaluating my application" - University of Texas Appeal letter

sk8rchick 6 / 10  
I have been CAP at the University of Texas, however I would rather appeal to get into UT Austin. This is my first appeal letter. I don't know what would be wanted. I wrote about why I like UT and new honors I have received. I have a slightly above average sat score but a par gpa. However I dont know whether I should focus on the positives or explain why my gpa is low. Also, I go to a very very competitive school. So what should I write about. I wrote a rough draft but I dont know how good it is. Please Help because I really need to get into this school. I have been rejected from all of the other ones and might end up at Community College. PLEASE HELP!

To whom it may concern:

First I would like to thank you for reevaluating my application. I have recently applied to the Cockrell School of Engineering and have been denied. However, I have written this application in order to become a student at your university. The University of Texas has been my dream school ever since I was seven years old. I remember my father holding me high on his shoulders as we watched the Texas Longhorn defeat the Houston Cougars in a football game; the stadium rumbled, the Longhorns cheered and I found a family. My aspirations were reconfirmed when I had the opportunity to participate in the Women in Engineering program and the Honors Colloquium during the past summer. While walking around the campus I noticed flyers for tutoring, it showed me that at the University of Texas at Austin we all believe in the success of our peers. I also received a plastic reusable water bottle which was part of a campaign to rid the campus of disposable plastic water bottles; this showed that we believe in taking care of our planet. The University of Texas at Austin represents a balance of academic excellence and personal character, two values that I firmly believe in.

Excellence has always driven my education; I have strove to go beyond the "norm." This includes my ACT score, 30, and my SAT score, 2010. My SAT has earned me the honor of becoming a Venture Scholar; a program for underrepresented underprivileged high achievers. Also, I take some of the most challenging courses my school offers including, AP Literature, AP Calculus AB, and AP Physics.

I also strive to achieve outside of the classroom. This includes entering several essay and art contests. I have recently become a published author, by winning a short essay contest and having it published in a book through Creative Commons.

To conclude, I want to be a part of the University of Texas at Austin family. Not only will the University of Texas at Austin provide an environment for me to learn and grow in, but I can contribute to the community in a positive manner.

Thank you for your time.
zdmw911 9 / 32  
Hey! I'm in the same situation as you! I will try to provide grammatical corrections later when I have time, but I'll give some general feedback now:

I think an important part of appealing/demonstrating interest in a university is by showing that you KNOW the university very well. Talk more about the Cockrell School of Engineering; why that school? Why now? If you know why you were rejected in the first place, make sure you defend yourself on that ground. For example, if you were rejected for your scores, mention other aspects of yourself that make up for those lower scores. In my opinion, these will make the admissions comittee seriously reconsider your application.

Good luck!
lfdz 4 / 31  
Good job girl! hope they reconsider your app! :)

Best Regards,

Home / Undergraduate / "thank you for reevaluating my application" - University of Texas Appeal letter