If you were refrained one year from going to college, what would you do?

lamar199324 1 / -  
In the circumstances that would cause me to attend Georgia Tech a year late I would accomplish several things. If I did not live in Georgia, I would move to the Peach State. Moving to Georgia would accomplish residency and this would allow me to receive in state tuition. I know that I have to live in the state for 12-months but that what the year off is for. I also realize that just because I have acquired in state tuition that does not mean that I could still pay for the school. This is only if I do not receive a scholarship. But to help pay for the college rather than having my parents use all of their hard earned money I would get a job to help pay for the tuition. If this does not work out hopefully the many scholarships I l have applied for will work for me. I would take part in some early studying. It would be better for me to go into college partially prepared and not having to bring my grades up. Football is a very popular sport with my family. Therefore, I would be attempting to try out for the team if I have not received a scholarship for it. In order to assure that I do the best possible at tryout I will train hard. I know that I have all of these things planned for this one year. However, I realize that in College life is more tedious. There are parties, football, social life (in general), Academics, and my Job (if I have on). Therefore, I would also practice better organization skills in the free time that I have. I will have a tenacious attitude toward my work so when college comes around I will be prepared. My attitude would be a determined tenacity not a stubborn tenacity
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I like your distinction between stubborn tenacity and determined tenacity!

But I worry that this narrative is not quite what the school would like to read. The focus on obtaining residency in order to lower your tuition is practical for you but will not make you look like an especially desirable student to the school. I'm guessing that what they would like to see is whether you would do something of substance in that year. While your answer does demonstrate tenacity -- all that it seems you would do is focus on getting into that school -- I'm suspecting that they would like to see some spark of individuality, some sign of a wide range of interests, some sense that you truly would improve yourself over that year.

So, think about it: What could you do other than continuing to try out for football and obtaining residency? After moving, could you involve yourself in the community, perhaps by volunteering? Could you take a community college course to improve your academic skills? Is there some particular subject that you could study on your own in order to be better prepared when you do enter college?
You discuss yourself in an oddly hypothetical manner: "If I did not live in Georgia," "my Job (if I have one)." Surely you must know whether you are currently living in Georgia, and whether you would plan on getting a job. I realize that technically these are unknowns (you might move to/from Georgia between now and the end of school, or be unable to find a job) but this is already understood, as you are writing on a hypothetical scenario anyway. So, you could just say that you would move to Georgia, and try to find a job in _____ field.

Also, Simone makes a valid point -- what you have written is probably entirely true, and eminently practical. However, it is not the sort of fare that the university reviewers expect to hear. So, think about things you could do in that year that would make you more interesting to the university. You could look at volunteer opportunities or taking college courses, as Simone suggests. Alternatively, you could talk about how you would travel the world to experience diverse cultures (cliche, but it works in a very PC theme, which is sort of what you are looking for here). Note that nothing you write in this sort of essay is binding -- it is only a thought experiment, after all, and you are free to change your mind and do something completely different if you actually do take a year off before attending college.

Home / Undergraduate / If you were refrained one year from going to college, what would you do?