Reinstatement essay explaining recent academic dismissal

needhelpwessay 1 / 1  
The questions were: What issues contributed to your academic difficulties? What steps have you taken to resolve these issues?

Academic Dismissal Appeal

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to appeal my recent academic dismissal from the University of Maryland to explain the circumstances surrounding my poor performance during the Spring and Fall semesters of 2016 in hopes that I may be given a second chance at my dream of earning a degree from the University of XX.

I admit, I had a very difficult time the last two semesters and my grades suffered as a result. The main issue that contributed to my academic conflicts was my financial situation. When i began my semester at the University of Maryland in the Fall of 2015, i was dependent of my family to provide me financial support. During the end of the Fall semester, my family went through a tremendous financial burden that cut down our source of income by almost 60%. My mother was unable to take care of my two little brothers and look after her business at the same time. I had to take the public transportation back home every weekend to work and to look after my family. The two hour-long ride and the chores I had to do at home, made it impossible for me to study. The financial situation also urged me to take a job near campus on the weekdays to support myself to pay for the tuition and my apartment. Even when i was at school, I was very distracted with the financial situation and was unable to focus on my schoolwork.

For the Fall semester of 2016, the main issue that brought my grades down was my attendance record for the in-class activities. Since my family's financial situation did not improve, i had to support them as much as possible. I was only able to attend some classes once a week due to work and this affected my grade by dropping me from an A to C+ in Course 1 and a B in Course 2. I failed to realize the damage this has caused to my grades till it was too late.

I love the University of Maryland and it would mean so much to me to graduate with a degree from this school. For the spring semester, i have secured two scholarships that will dramatically reduce my financial burden. This will allow me to focus more on my schoolwork, cut down two of my part time jobs outside of campus and manage my time more wisely. I also was able to obtain a job at the University of Maryland in the Department of XX as an Student Assistant during the Spring semester of 2016. This job has made it easier for me to manage my time better and supported me financially better than the other jobs i have taken. I will not be working two to three jobs that cut down on my time to focus on my schoolwork. Fortunately, my mother was also able to obtain a new job in the month of December to support the family, so I should not need to travel home every week.

I have also learned that communication is a big part of being successful, whether it be communicating with my professors, counselors or with the people around me. I thought I could handle all the burdens by myself, but i was wrong. I understand now that i should not avoid my professors and TA's, and talk to them earlier on in the school year if i'm struggling with my grades or personal issues. I have also talked to my parents regarding my situation at the University and they have agreed to support me financially if needed.

Please understand that my low GPA that led to my dismissal does not indicate that I am a poor student. Other than the in-class activities for the courses, I have good grades in the other aspects of the course work. I have improved grades on three courses compared to my previous semester. I just need an another opportunity to show my true potential now that my financial burdens are solved. I have taken many steps to ensure my success for going forward with my studies and pursue my dream of receiving an undergraduate degree from the University of Maryland. I hope you will give me a second chance. Thank you for considering this appeal.
MT1 1 / 5 1  
@needhelpwessay
Make sure to run a grammar and spell check on this essay for basic corrections! I suggested attaching grammarly for google chrome, a free and easy tool!

Refrain from slang! "I failed to realize the damage this hashad caused to my grades tilluntil it was too late."

"PleaseI hope that you understand that (...) my dismissal does not indicate that I am a poor student"is not an indication of my academic potential "

"I have improved my grades onin three courses ...

"I hope you that through this appeal, you are able to grant me a second chancewill give me a second chance . Thank you for considering this appeal.your consideration .

Please go back through your essay and look for places you can reword using more advanced language.
Priyanka, you need to add information about your remaining part time job. The job description, name of the company, location, and working hours you need to complete will be part of the considerations for your readmission. You have to convince the committee that your new work schedule will work around your class requirements instead of your class requirements working around the job. Next, you will need to explain your new living conditions. If you can tell them where you now live, aside from assuring them that you no longer have to go home so often, it might help convince them that you are decided upon returning to college at the university. I believe that it will also be best if you do not mention that you spoke to your parents about financially supporting you anymore. After all, they were cause of your first problem to begin with. Just reinforce the idea that if need be, you are willing to support yourself financially in college. That will show a clear change in your financial dependence and sources that will allow you to better focus on your studies should you be readmitted to the university.

Home / Undergraduate / Reinstatement essay explaining recent academic dismissal