"Rejection; Learning to Never Give Up" - UC Prompt #2

eddymany 1 / -  
Prompt #2 Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

"Change your thoughts and you change the world." In all honesty, it took me awhile to figure out what Mr. Peale was talking about. I mean, so what if I changed my thoughts, how would I be able to change the world? "Be the change you want to see in the world." Once again, I thought; easy for Ghandi to say; he's already changed the world. I brushed aside these run-ins with these famous quotes until my senior year when all these quotes came together.

"Congratulations, your club has been approved." I remember the exact moment I read these words and how excited I felt. The moment I had been waiting for finally came. And after months of rewrites and meetings, we finally got our club and at that moment, I finally thought to myself, " We did it, we finally did it."

Rejection was something I came quite familiar with during my high school years. It took us two years to finally get this club, and our journey has been eventful to say the least. But two years, three club charter rewrites, three rejections, one false acceptance and a couple administrative meetings later; we finally got our club. From meetings with our advisor to meetings with the superintendent of the school district, we have gone places where most students have and probably will never go.

Despite all of the troubles this club has caused me, I am actually happy that it got rejected so many times. I learned to not only to stand up for what you believe in, but also to never give up. From what I heard, there were tons of aspiring clubs for the 2010-2011 school year at Mills. Although one or two did get approved, tons were rejected for similar reasons. The different between their club and our club was that we fought.

We worked with students, the leadership teacher, vice principals, principals and superintendents to get our club approved. We dedicated time during lunch to meet with our advisor, time after school to meet with the principal, and time at night to rewrite our charter.

I now understand what Norman Vincent Peale and Ghandi were talking about on that day they said their quotes. Their quotes showed me that by changing what you believe and what you believe you can do, you can actually change the world.

This is an experience I will definitely never forget. I have learned that if I really want something, I need to actually work hard and go for it. I've learned that nothing is impossible, and no matter how long it may take, the result is always worth the time and effort. I hope to look forward and continue to live life by these quotes and this experience, an experience I will always treasure.

Thank you so much! Good Luck to class of 2011!
gaodagg 1 / 2  
"Change your thoughts and you change the world." In all honesty, it took me awhile to figure out what Mr. Peale was talking about. I mean, so what if I changed my thoughts, how would I be able to change the world? "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Are you sure you want to add those sentences?
I feel like you should emphasise what made you persist despite those numerous rejections.

This paragraph is good so you should elabrate it.

Home / Undergraduate / "Rejection; Learning to Never Give Up" - UC Prompt #2