'After I got the rejection letter' - Stanford re-applicants Essay

Dimitris 4 / 8  
Hi guys,

I am reapplying to Stanford and this the essay I wrote for this topic: "Have you previously applied to Stanford?(Y/N)- If yes, please tell us of any significant experiences and developments since your last application."

A year has passed since my last Stanford application, a year that many things changed for me. After I got the rejection letter from Stanford I was devastated and unsure of what the future holds for me. Very soon, though, I got over the 'sadness' stage and started to research the reasons of this failure. After a few days of reading and thinking I understood that the reason of this rejection was the fact that I was not genuine in my application. I didn't lie in the essays, but I failed to present myself in a way that showcased the real traits of my personality. I was superficial and I wasn't unique. I even got to the point that I questioned myself, if I were an admission officer, why would I admit me! My life, after this realization went really well. I graduated from high school and in the national Greek Apolytirion exams I scored in the top 5% of the whole country and 6th in my school. After I finished high school, which till then occupied all of my free time, I started doing things that I really liked. I learn to program in two new languages and to develop applications for android devices. Then I had an idea moment; I came up with an idea for a mobile application which will change the way people commute every day. More details about this application are available in the additional information section of the common application. During the summer I travelled around Greece, talked to interesting people,read books that helped me see the world from a different perspective, organized the first "F1 in Schools" event in Greece and grasped every other opportunity I found in my way.

This last year has been so important to me not because I had a life changing experience, but because I learnt to bring to the surface the characteristics of my personality which can eventually change my life. If someone juxtaposes my last years and this year's application will probably think that they are written by two completely different persons and that will be true. Am I a different person? No, I am still the same human being, but now more experienced, wiser and, definitely, a year older.

Could you please tell me what you think about it? I don't really care for the grammar as much I care for the content.

Thanks
754changsteph 1 / 3  
I think that maybe you should shorten the beginning a bit...talk about your devastation, but maybe don't dwell so much on the past; transition more into the future and explain what and how your experiences have changed you. Great writing, though!

Home / Undergraduate / 'After I got the rejection letter' - Stanford re-applicants Essay