Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Relationship with my Dad; U Texas- exceptional hardships, challenges, opportunities

Aniece 1 / 2 1  
There may be personal information that you want considered as part of your admissions application. Write an essay describing that information. You might include exceptional hardships, challenges, or opportunities that have shaped or impacted your abilities or academic credentials, personal responsibilities, exceptional achievements or talents, educational goals, or ways in which you might contribute to an institution committed to creating a diverse learning environment.

I felt like I was in a dream, sitting with my new friends and my best friend by my side, in a place where my heart and family belonged. At that moment I felt the happiest I could be, I was on an internship to pursue my dreams as a criminal lawyer, I met a group people from all over the world in which I felt a huge connection with, and I was eating the best bruschettas in a restaurant across from the London Eye. But within a moment all of this was taken away from me with a phone call from my aunt, which left me contemplating about reality. In this one minute call, I journeyed through the realms of my deepest thoughts and memories about my dad, attempting to absorb that his life was about to change and so was mine.

As I expected just a pleasant visit from my aunt, I found myself walking away from an internship I had been long awaiting and walking towards a day I never thought I would face. To many, including myself, the relationship between my dad and I was not a father daughter bond to even the most meager degree, but more like a stranger who had given life to me. My father was nothing remotely close to affectionate or caring. However despite his neglection as a father, I walked away from my dream as a natural instinct. Upon boarding the plane back to Houston I attempted to understand my own disposition about the current situation. My aunt sat next to me telling me "It's okay to cry," while she struggled to comfort me. I sat there with a blank expression on my face, as I tried to picture my dad. How could I show affection to a man who I had never encountered any kind of love with? And now all of a sudden the man I called dad, was lying in a hospital bed after escaping death right before my eyes. As I walked aimlessly through Memorial Herman's doors, I was profusely baffled as to how I was going to react to this situation. When I walked in the ICU room, I saw him strangled by the many wires of the machine which now held his life. My mom told me he had a stroke and was now paralyzed head to toe on his right side and unable to speak. He glanced towards me with a look on his face I would never forget, it was as if he had forgotten who I was. After seeing that look, I immediately walked out the room and started letting the river flow from my eyes. It was as if all of sudden, without any words being said or actions being taken, there was so much affection filled within me for that man in the room.

As days and weeks went by with family and friends coming in and out the hospital, trips back and forth from the hospital to home, and sleepless nights with my mother, we finally brought him home, a place which had now been converted to a closer hospital. When I saw him crying I realized all the emotions he had never shown were now coming out. He opened his arms wide open for my mom and I. I felt as if even though he was unable to speak, walk properly, or use his right arm, this was all a blessing in disguise. Like god, had given us a chance to build a relationship and make my dad realize to care more for his family. Even though till this day, the challenges of living in a house with a mother who continues to struggle in coping with the financial issues occurring from the medical bills and emotional distress brought upon us, and a father who now brings a smile to my face, yet acts like a young child sometimes, has become increasingly difficult. On the contrary, this situation has shaped in the most positive way. As I am maturing into an adult,

Home / Undergraduate / Relationship with my Dad; U Texas- exceptional hardships, challenges, opportunities