'relevancy of economics' - Cornell Supplement Economics

alicederp 10 / 56 4  
Hi guys this is my essay for Cornell. Please help me out and be as critical as possible! I will be glad to help back if you would like me to. (:

College of Arts and Sciences:

Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the College of Arts and Sciences to further explore your interests, intended major, or field of study.

Growing up in Beijing, the capital of one of the world's fastest developing countries, the dynamics of the city changed with breathtaking speed. Miles of cornfield disappeared as the coal burning factories popped up and spewed out blackness into the once brilliant blue skies. Shopping malls sprouted all over the city and soon the streets filled with bicycles were traded for shiny new cars.

These were childhood observations that with the opportunity of enrolling in HL economics I finally began to understand. And with the models and explanations, the world itself began to make sense. "Everything is economics and economics is everything", thought I in an attempt to be profound. But truly, with my desire to understand the modern society, I have developed a deep appreciation for the subject's diversity.

With the relevancy of economics as the main reason to further my study, my criteria for choosing a program is one that not only has excellent teaching, but also emphasizes and celebrates the diversity of the subject. These principles are representative of Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences.

In addition to the honor of working with an exceptionally large number of economists on the faculty, there are opportunities to aid in ongoing research and conduct my own. This is highly attractive to me because research would provide me the chance to utilize the knowledge and skills I acquire from class to truly contribute towards society. Also, as part of the honors program or department's program of independent study, I would have the resources and guidance to work towards aspects of personal interest. As an economics enthusiast but undecided in a specific field, this opportunity could pave the path of my future career.

Furthermore, with over 2000 courses to choose from, the opportunities are endless in exploring interests and developing new ones. With the college's dedication to the liberal arts, I would be encouraged, in fact required to take a variety of different courses. My top choices after perusing Fall 2012 course descriptions are PSYCH 4840 - Goals, Needs, and Desires and 4655 Topics in Social & Political Philosophy. Courses in other subjects will not only instill in me the ability to approach problems from different angles, but also contribute towards economics, enriching and interlacing it with other disciplines. Perhaps I may even end up taking on one or two other majors, providing me a cutting edge to the average economics degree.

The steep slope of improvement in my high school grades demonstrates my possession of the necessary maturation and focus to become part of Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences. Among those that share my passion, I would be able to comfortably engage in the academic atmosphere, fostering deeper understanding and contributing my own ideas. From the dedication to the liberal arts to the excellent teaching and opportunities for research, study abroad, and internships, all the while the Knight's institute providing literary skills fundamental to any profession, I regard Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences as the quintessential next step.
aceq 2 / 12 1  
My top choices after perusing Fall 2012 course descriptions(i find it unnecessary) are PSYCH 4840 - Goals, Needs, and Desires and 4655 Topics in Social & Political Philosophy.

Good job!
mayfl0wer 6 / 48  
Growing up in Beijing, the capital of one of the world's fastest developing countries, the dynamics of the city changed with breathtaking speed.

^ when you begin your sentence with a gerund, you need a subject otherwise it's incomplete.
because look: 'growing up in beijing, ____________________."
you need to add 'I' in there.

With the college's dedication to the liberal arts, I would be encouraged, in fact required to take a variety of different courses.
^encouraged and required are contradictions.

Please help me with mine!
jakk1994 2 / 22 2  
'"Everything is economics and economics is everything", I thought, attempting to make sense of all I had learned '

But truly, with my desire to understand the modern society, I have developed a deep appreciation for the subject's diversity. I'm confused by the previous sentence going into this. Using "but" means it contradicts or explains the previous sentence...but like you said "economics is everything", so you should be agreeing that economics is very diverse. You could say:

"My thoughts became very real. Through my desire to learn more about modern society, I have seen the diverse nature of the study of economics and the large part of life that it encompasses."
yumm33333 1 / 2  
These are entirely my own opinions :)

"Everything is economics and economics is everything", thought I in an attempt to be profoundawkward to me

Furthermore, with over 2000 ... transition makes me lose interest. if that makes any sense! it just sounds boring

liberal arts, I would be encouraged ,unnecessary in my opinion in fact required

I also think the listing of specific classes is unneccessary altogether. I would just generalize your interests but then include how your flexible

Good luck!
CTHIMENYOR 1 / 13  
I made some corrections but I saw that they were all made by strwrsfn0013. Other than that I couldn't find any problems with this spectatular essay. Good luck

Home / Undergraduate / 'relevancy of economics' - Cornell Supplement Economics