'Renaissance' + 'Supernova' - MIT Essays

nkprasad12 5 / 18  
Although you may not yet know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why? (100 words)

A star, having exhausted its supply of Hydrogen, explodes in a brilliant burst of radiation. Its light traverses trillions of miles, eventually reaching the Orion Arm of the Milky Way Galaxy. Here, the burst is captured by a series of reflectors orbiting a particular oblate spheroid; it is reproduced on the pages of an Astronomy book. A small boy picks up the book, and, enthralled by what he sees, develops a fascination for the cosmos. And a decade later, the boy hopes to develop further his understanding of the beautiful things he saw by studying Astrophysics at MIT.

[I wanted to experiment with this one. I know it doesn't talk about me really, but I wanted to get across my real passion and sense of wonder for Astronomy.]

What attribute of your personality are you most proud of, and how has it impacted your life so far? This could be your creativity, effective leadership, sense of humor, integrity, or anything else you'd like to tell us about. (*) (200-250 words)

More than once, I've been told that "curiosity killed the cat". Luckily for me, my curiosity is satisfied by leaping into books rather than off buildings. I read my history textbooks like I read Harry Potter: cover to cover, despite their (very occasional) slow parts and sheer size.

For me, like any erudite scholar, research on any given topic frequently begins on Wikipedia. Two hours and dozens of fascinated clicks later, I'll often find myself avidly reading about something equally interesting but completely unrelated. I'm always wanting to know more: so William the Conqueror won the Battle of Hastings? What's this? He had a Domesday Book?A giant census of all of England? In the 11th century?

My favorite books range from a Brief History of Time to An Omnivore's Dilemma to The Power of Babel. A Brief History of time introduced me to the world of theoretical physics and enhanced my love for Astronomy. The Power of Babel introduced me to the fascinating world of historical linguistics. An Omnivore's Dilemma made me vegetarian.

This vitality isn't just restricted to academia. I'm always eager to try different food - curry, enchiladas and pizza are all delicious. My favorite Spotify play list includes Beethoven, Bruno Mars, and Billy Joel. I always wonder, "Why not try?" Whether there's another genre to explore, a new subject to examine, or an a different cuisine to sample (though nothing with chicken, thank you very much), my curiosity always keeps things interesting.
kathyxtrieu /  
I love the second one!
& I am in the process of reading an Omnivore's Dilemma (:

I honestly, can't find much to change...
It's really shows how diverse you from your intelligence to your curiosity.
sungmink94 1 / 3  
I really like both of your essays. especially the second one. The first one is a risk but I think it's worth taking because it is still very interesting and you also have your second essay to prove your writing skills

Home / Undergraduate / 'Renaissance' + 'Supernova' - MIT Essays