Renovating a dilapidated house- Common App SA

Samiam 1 / 1  
Alright, I'm not sure if this even meets the essay prompt, so can you please read the prompt before reading the essay and tell me what you think? Also please leave me some feedback!

PROMPT: Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (150 words or fewer).

ESSAY: Playboy magazines from the 70's, a historical assortment of defunct radios, and a series of brick like Polaroid cameras. These were just a few of the items that we emptied out of Ms. Mason's outdoor shed. I, along with a group of other fellow Youth Corps members, decided to repair Ms. Mason's dilapidating house. Ms. Mason's house was by no means in a livable standard: the roof was leaking, the local termites and cockroaches took residence, and paint peeled off the exterior. After hours of such painting and roofing, not once did I see Ms. Mason. As the sun started to set, I volunteered to tell Ms. Mason that we were going to leave. I walked up to the door and rang the doorbell. No response. Then suddenly I heard a muffled shout, "What do you want!?" "We are leaving", I replied. No response. Not one "thank-you."

Thanks
Sam F.
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
Alright, I'm not sure if this even meets the essay prompt

^I'm not really sure either and that's probably a bad thing.

I mean what the prompt wants you to do is probably describe a pleasant activity/educational one. I thought that this event was going that way until the last part, which left me rather confused as to what I'm supposed to imply from this.

Why were you fixing up this house anyway? I would think that you realized something more positive from this experience other than the fact that some people are really mean.
OP Samiam 1 / 1  
Thanks for the quick response llama. I guess the real thing I was trying to get across in this essay is that during this particular event I realized that not every good deed is rewarded by gratification.

I don't think I'm going to use this essay, and i'll start over unless anyone can think of a way to change it.
I, along with a A group of my fellow Youth Corps members and I decided to repair ...-----I like it this way.. more direct.

dilapidating ---change this to dilapidated

Then suddenly I heard a muffled shout, "What do you want!?" "We are leaving", I replied. No response. Not one "thank-you."

---- You need to add a sentence after this. Add a sentence to acknowledge that she may have had a hearing impairment or may have been suffering from depression... or say anything, really, so that the reader knows that you have compassion for her.

:-)

I think it definitely does answer the prompt.

Home / Undergraduate / Renovating a dilapidated house- Common App SA