Representative - Why Columbia Essay

KapurAS 1 / 2  
I am currently writing my 'How does ... satisfy your desire to attend university' question and have conducted a fair amount of research on Columbia. I am a little unsure about how to formulate my answer. Is it okay to cite specific staff members and their work as a reason? Research opportunities available?

So for Columbia I was thinking about starting off with 'When I first read 'The End of Poverty' by Professor Jeffrey Sachs, I finally felt like there was hope for the billion of people who live on less than a day. In his book, his optimism had inspired me and as I read on I became more intrigued to learn from him. At Columbia, the Earth Institute, led by Professor Jeffrey Sachs himself, stands as a leader in fighting against poverty and with the Millenium Villages Project it is making lots of progress. The Earth Institute, to me, is representative of Columbia as a whole. With the best professors in the world, such as Joseph Stiglitz, and as a major research university Columbia is creating ground-breaking research that I would love to be apart of.' Would this be too specific? Is focusing on a professor not answering the general question of why Columbia?

All advice would be welcome and much appreciated!
wsywsy108108 2 / 4 2  
I think its okay to mention names, but instead of focusing on how good the professor is, I think you need to mention how you will utilize the faculty and research opportunities.

Being specific is very good because that let the AO knows that you know a lot about the school. Good luck!
OP KapurAS 1 / 2  
Thanks for the advice. I think I will probably alter it, as you say, to focus on the faculty and the programs they offer where one works with staff.
roxy481 5 / 11 4  
the specificity is good, it shows that you've done your research
but be sure to elaborate more on Columbia as a whole

Home / Undergraduate / Representative - Why Columbia Essay