Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"Representative Powers" - UF application essay

maggers777 2 / 2  
This is my essay for the UF application, was wondering if somebody could please give me input on anything that needs work, to be changed etc. The essay prompt is to describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. Here is my essay:

"Representative Powers". With the sound of my name I shakily rose out of my chair and fumbled with the microphone cord, struggling somewhat to get it out of the stand. "Representative Powers", I said, lifting the microphone to my mouth,"Treasure Coast Delegation, I rise to speak in favor of this bill". My voice was surprisingly unwavering despite my nervousness. I looked around to see fellow delegates and chapter members staring encouragingly at me, along with the rest of the room. I looked in the stands above me and saw the two teachers who are the supervisors of our club as well as my dad, who had come to support me, smiling at me encouragingly.Suddenly, I felt a new surge of confidence. This is it, I thought, you can do it. As I began to speak, my argument seemed to flow out of me. Overall, talking in front of a mock legislative assembly was a lot easier than I expected, and as I talked my voice and confidence seemed to grow stronger, until I had the attention of everyone in the room. When I finally came to an end, I gave a calm "Thank you", yielded the rest of my time to the chair, and sat down with relief. Some of the other members from my chapter that were sitting around me congratulated me on my willing to stand up and speak for the bill, and in turn, represent our club. I looked up again, and saw my father beaming at me with pride.

This was the first time I experienced Youth In Government, a program that has changed my life. As soon as I sat down in the cushioned leather seats of the Capitol building I knew I had found a new passion. As a participant for 2 years, I have been able to attend the Y.I.G. State assembly, held in Tallahassee. There I am able to take part in a legislative program almost completely run by people my age. As a member of the mock House of Representatives, I was able to discuss and create new ideas that would change the state for the better, relating to ideas for environmental safety to energy efficiency to child protection.

According to my dad, I come from a family of leaders, going as far back as my grandfather. They both were involved in the community, rising to positions on various committees and boards, trying to benefit various aspects of our community. With Youth In Government, I feel like I am carrying on this trait, becoming a part of a new generation of leaders, thinkers, active members of society. On that first day of State Assembly, I could almost feel my granddad's spirit in the room, looking on with my dad as I nervously spoke into the microphone , debating the ideas of future leaders.

If accepted into UF, I will carry on this spirit of responsibility and leadership that I have taken away from the YIG program. I will also bring with me the passion instilled in me from it as well as the initiative and duty that I learned from my dad , and through him, my grandfather.

Home / Undergraduate / "Representative Powers" - UF application essay