"A research assistant at my lab" - App Extracurricular activity

amazingA 8 / 35  
Hey guys,
so here is my common app extracurricular essay. The exact wording of the prompt is:
Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (150 words or fewer, 1000 character maximum).

Here is my response:

This summer I was a newly hired research and lab assistant, accruing a massive $10 per hour. I took pride in the fact that two years of lab experience was finally paying me more money than the tedious task of tutoring algebra two to unmotivated teenagers. However, besides the financial aspect, the work was much more rewarding that any other experience. I was considered as an important contributor to my lab, and was allowed to device experiments and co-author a research paper. In addition, the lab technician in training would often ask me for the type of primers and buffers to be used in a specific PCR reaction. In my time as a hired assistant and a volunteer for two years, I was shocked to see how much respect a high school student can receive in midst of PhDs and post-doctoral students. The experience allowed me to build my self-esteem and exposed me to the intellectual grounds that I had always wanted to reach, all the while letting me contribute to the research community.

does this fit in the context of the prompt?
are there any major modification i need to make?
any other comments are always welcomed...
XueAmir 6 / 25  
algebra-2(I think you might want to write 2 as two or II preferably two)to unmotivated teenagers [

though instead it might come off easier to read if you say more than the gruesome task of tutotoring unmotivated Algebra two/ or II students.

The context was fine, but your closing sentence in my opinion didn't really reflect what you wrote. I can't really connect how your self-esteem was built up by being a research assistant ,but the age thing is so-so I can kinda imply that you probably were one of the younger members of the group. Though if you could try explaining it a bit more that would be nice,so the reader doesn't have to try and guess..But besides that it was fine, but if you can't really fit what you need to elaborate then its ok i guess. You don't have much words to use.
OP amazingA 8 / 35  
yes you are right xueamir..the last sentence is a bit awkward..i tried my best to encompass everything i had planned to..but i guess the "self-esteem" part just didn't fit in

thanks though..i will reword the essay
OP amazingA 8 / 35  
My revised version..yay for research assistants making $10 per hour
Let's add the word wage to the end of that first sentence, because the way some people might read it.. it will sound better that way, i think. But I'm not sure.

...was allowed to device devise experiments and co-author a research paper.

This is a strong essay! Great hook in the beginning, great eloquence at the end.
swoosh18 4 / 40  
Good job on this essay!
My one correction:
I was shocked to see how much respect a high school student can receive in the midst of PhDs and post-doctoral students.

Please read my essays. Thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / "A research assistant at my lab" - App Extracurricular activity