Why I want to research Chemistry

crystal19 1 / -  
I chose Chemistry as my major and career path because science has always been my passion. Every since I was in middle school, science has always been one of the fascinating subject; I just feel in love with it. I love the fact that you are able to make new and amazing discoveries every day in science. My research interest includes finding a cure for HIV/AIDS or even help pave the way for the in demand fix, I also want to help and interact with children and people as a everyday thing, and change their outlook on the dying world today.

I would love to see the look on a persons face once I know I have just saved a life with my own research. Chemistry really excited me in all ways, from the mixing of chemicals to the different findings in research labs all around the world. There are endless possibilities with chemistry, and it will always be apart of the next step in medical findings.

I am also preparing myself mentally for the up coming changes that I will be going through with this field of study, but I am determined. I understand that every one won't make it to the end of the line of go through with the plan if succeeding in this field of study, however I have faith that I can. I realize the struggle that cones with the once and a lifetime opportunity that you are offering and that hard work that I will have to put in, never the less I am willing to take that sacrifice. I have never felt this confident about anything like I feel about this program. I strongly believe this will take me to the next level and help me accomplish my goals

I have confidence that this REU will prepare me for my career. I honestly see myself transitioning in tremendous ways because of the opportunity that I am being presented with. This would be truly an honor to research in your labs and study with other eager students just like me.
In that midle paragraph, it would be great to cite a few research articles as examples of the great advances made in this field. Here are a few ideas for improving the clarity:

Every since I was in middle school, science has always been one of the subject that was most fascinating to me; I just fell in love with it.

I would love to see the look on a person's face once that person learns that I have just saved a life with my own research.

I am also preparing myself mentally for the up coming changes that I will be going through as I continue into this field of study; it will be difficult, but I am determined.

:-)
yang 2 / 313  
if you like science so much, why not bio? why not physics?

it seems to me that hiv and aids are medical problems, which is more related to bio/biochem than pure chemistry. So why chem?
and why AIDS? it's a rather odd topic to talk about. you've got cancer and all these, but why a sexual disease in particular?

I understand that every one won't make it to the end of the line of go through with the plan if succeeding in this field of study, however I have faith that I can

is that all you've got? faith? is there any plan?

well, your essay feels like a typical answer to the prompt: why this major and why our school. I suggest a path that would link your own story to the major, like telling an episode of your life, an event, that made you realize your passion and please explain what you plan to do instead of saying: i BELIEVE that i'm gonna be great...it's pure arrogance.

Home / Undergraduate / Why I want to research Chemistry