'research and internship opportunities' - Johns Hopkins - supplement #1

draine095 1 / -  
Johns Hopkins offers 50 majors across the schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering. On this application, we ask you to identify one or two that you might like to pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did? If you are undecided, why didn't you choose? (If any past courses or academic experiences influenced your decision, you may include them in your essay.)

Ever since I started grade school, I've always wanted to help people. Whether it be psychologically, physically, or mentally, my top priority is to better those around me in some way through every encounter I made with them. In addition to my increasing curiosity about the world around me, I later developed a passion for solving problems and learning new ways to do so. Because of this, that I have an inclination to one field in particular: science. I love the complexity, the intricacy, and ubiquity behind anything scientific.

I remember when I first heard about the incredible feats that one's scientific background - biology in particular - could overcome. Both of my parents have medicine-related careers, and like any amicable daughter, I did my best to follow in their footsteps. Before then, my knowledge of biology was fully dependent on the meager section in the school library on that topic. The wonderful tales about saving lives and making new discoveries about organisms enthralled me, and since then, there hasn't been a science course that I haven't connected with on a personal level.

As most of science courses are actually hands on at Johns Hopkins, I would also be interested in research and internship opportunities. A major in biology will provide me with a solid foundation as I prepare to embark on my medical journey, and seek to better the world and its inhabitants, one class at a time.
ilyd3bby - / 2  
I think it is obvious that you like science and that you want to major in biology. So hooray on answering that part of the prompt :) the part of your essay that doesn't really appeal to me is the introduction. To me, personally, it is not a catchy intro and if you changed it I think that is what would keep Johns Hopkins really interested in your answer.

Home / Undergraduate / 'research and internship opportunities' - Johns Hopkins - supplement #1