Research and Peace Corps - Lewis and Clark/Carleton supplements

deramirez 1 / -  
Hi, this is my first time posting so hopefully I do it right. I wasn't so sure if I was supposed to be straightforward or add in personal stories, etc. I went with straightforward because of the word limit, but if this isn't really the best approach, I would appreciate if you told me. Please be as harsh as you possibly can; it will be much appreciated. I'll edit yours! Thanks!

How did you first learn about Lewis and Clark? (400 characters)
I first heard about Lewis and Clark when my older sister suggested I research it when I asked her for college suggestions. After going on the school website and finding that the college's curriculum matched my interests, I attended the Pacific Northwest College Consortium presentation in Menlo Park and the admissions representative visit to my school, both of which confirmed my decision to apply.

Describe how Lewis and Clark will help you explore your academic and personal goals. (400 characters)
I learn best through experience. Lewis and Clark's abundant research and study abroad opportunities would allow me to learn through interactions with the world beyond the confines of the classroom. Secondly, Lewis and Clark's high percentage of graduates who become Peace Corps volunteers is proof to me that I would be in a community where others could identify with my goal to use my academic interests, specifically in sociology and medicine, for global good.

Why are you interested in Carleton College and how did this interest develop? (300 characters)
Carleton's strength in the natural and social sciences, emphasis on global learning, and lively, intellectual community make it the ideal college for me. I discovered these qualities by browsing through Carleton's website and student-written reviews on CollegeProwler.com. (Does that last sentence respond to the "how did this interest develop" part of the question)
Cleopatra 8 / 22  
I think the first two are great but in the second one you should mention what youre interested in first because then I would be able to understand better how you would be able to learn what you please through experience and traveling abroad.

About the third question, I do not think the last sentence suggests how your interest developed. Mention one specific program or class, article, topic you found on the website and mention how you explored it from there.

I think you're doing the right thing by answering them straighforwardly, because you dont have enough character space to speak too much about anecdotes. However you should be keen to mention your interests in each but I think you do a pretty good job of mentioning how YOU are affected by what they have to offer and how YOU benefit.

Don't sell the college to the college, sell yourself!
Good luck :) I think they're pretty good
Help me with my cupcake issue please!

Home / Undergraduate / Research and Peace Corps - Lewis and Clark/Carleton supplements