Resilience and Confucian proverb

rainyxoxo 1 / 1  
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution, or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall," is a Confucian proverb that showcases resilience. Through my interactions with music, I had struck the chord of resilience that has prepared me for obstacles in the future.

I played my first music note when I was six years old when I curiously pressed on a key of an old piano that stood untouched in my house. I was captivated at how silence changed into music at the touch of my fingers. Even though I had ignited a passion for music, my parents could not afford music lessons. Discouraged, I decided to give up. I was surprised to find myself return to the piano and even go on to teaching myself the songs that I loved. I eventually learned how to read music and play the violin by advantage of the free music classes and cheap instrument rentals in school.

In the seventh grade, I became a violist. Even though no one else wanted to try it, I felt that the viola's sad and resonant tone needed to be heard. It was not an easy change. My body had to physically adjust to the larger instrument and ached after holding it up for long practices. I had to mentally adjust to read the viola's alto clef instead of the familiar treble clef. After trying my hardest to adjust, I found that the viola played a very minor role in songs. I wanted to give up. However, I eventually realized how crucial of a role the viola played in harmonizing and supporting others. I found myself to be the cohesive glue that held everyone together. I motivated myself to work harder. At the end of that year, I led a section of six violists in the district's annual string festival and played a viola solo in one of my school's pieces. My performances that night proved that I had conquered my transition into a violist.

Resilience was what gave me the strength to continue playing music even in times of adversity. It has made me proud of the person I am today. I would not know how to accept myself if I always gave up or ran away whenever I was put into a bad situation. Whenever I look back to see what I have conquered and how I have handled myself through tough situations, I see the transformation of a disappointed young girl into an optimistic, adaptive, and determined person.

The person I am today is prepared to face all different kinds of adversities with resilience. I am not afraid to pursue challenges and anticipate further development in different types of environments. My previous adversities with music are similar to those that I will face in the future, like financial problems, difficult adjustments to make, hard work, and thoughts of giving up. There will be many things that will make me fall, but I am ready to rise to the challenge.

Please give me advice. Thanks =]
OP rainyxoxo 1 / 1  
Already did some correcting myself..

I played my first music note when I was six years old when I curiously pressed on a key of an old piano that stood untouched in my house. (how should I redo this sentence?) I was captivated by how silence changed into music at the touch of my fingers.

I eventually learned how to read music and play the violin by taking advantage of free music classes and cheap instrument rentals in school.

Even though no one else wanted to try it, I felt that the viola's sad and resonant tone was neglected and needed to be heard. After trying my hardest to adjust, I foundI was disheartened to find out that the viola played a very minor role in songs.

I am not afraid to pursue challenges and anticipate further development intrying out different types of environments. My previous adversities with music are similar to those that I will face in the future, like financial problems, difficult adjustments to make, hard work, and thoughts of giving up. There will be many things that will make me fall, butHowever, I am ready to rise to the challenge.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening :)

OK, let's see. How about, "When I was six, I curiously pressed a key on an old piano that stood untouched in my house. Little did I know that this single note would be my very first."

Nice changes! I reviewed the revised one, and wouldn't change a thing! A great response! Good work.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / Resilience and Confucian proverb