'resilience and determination from NY' -Transfer Personal Statement Temple University

BrittB 1 / -  
Hey everyone. I just wanted to get some advice and some tips on my transfer application/personal statement to Temple U. I am transferring from another state school in PA as a junior so I hope this essay isn't too much and is good enough for me to catch the admissions office attention on how bad I want to go here. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks:)

Please tell us more about yourself. Relate one or more experiences or circumstances that have contributed to your personal and/or academic development. If you have been out of school for a year or longer, please discuss your activities during that period of time

Growing up in western New York I learned resilience and determination. Resilient to the poor financial situation that was inflicted upon my family and determined to never be in that same situation. The greatest impact on my life was watching my parents pull themselves from the depths of financial disparity to later live a happy middle class life style. I learned there will always be hope, no matter what problems come your way you have to take it head on. My parents have proved that. As I look back on where I have come from since my life in New York and I know that I can accomplish any feat in life. I strive to become a successful business woman no matter what lies ahead, and I will overcome any challenges I face on that journey to success.

The key to accomplishing your goals is courage and strength. In high school I worked through the difficult problems I faced. As an average student I had to work twice as hard to accomplish my goals to better myself and move ahead with my future. I was determined to excel in areas I struggled in. I sought help when I needed it, as I wasn't going to let my shortfalls get in the way of my academic goals. Math used to be my biggest weakness, I was terrified to attend class, but I wasn't going to let anything hold me back. I received help where I needed it, growing an interest in math, driving me to learn more. Never wanting to take the easy road I decided I wanted to have a career around math. Although I knew it would be tough to get there, I didn't care; I had something to prove, to show that anything is possible when you put your heart into it. On the contrary, English is one of my academic strengths. I love to write even when I don't have to for academic reasons. Poetry is my favorite, it eases my mind when I'm stressed allowing me to writing my feelings out on paper. I have won many poetry awards in high school as well as outside the classroom and I will continue to work for more. Having such strengths and weaknesses contributed to my academic development to show me where I need to improve and that it wasn't going to be easy. With my courage and such strength, I was able to overcome my fear of math by receiving help and putting more effort into my studies; and use my skills in English to pursue opportunities outside of school.

Aside from achieving in academics, I was always active in sports and exercise. I began my dance career when I was a little girl, always dreaming to pursue a career in dance. I've been dancing my entire life and I am currently on the Kutztown University hip hop dance team. I danced for The Philadelphia Soul dance team from 2007 until 2009. Dance has always been a part of my life and I plan to continue to pursue it as a hobby in the future. I also grew up playing soccer which consumed a lot of my time as a child. I loved playing soccer and working with my teammates. I guess you can say I've always been a "team player". I want to continue to stay active and possibly be a part of a Temple University's sports program.

Being a transfer student at Temple University, I want to learn a lot of new things as I enter into my junior year of college. One main reason I want to transfer to Temple University is because I have been a student at Kutztown University for the past 2 years and I am not too satisfied with my education or the opportunities that the school has to offer. I believe that Temple has a lot more to offer as far as good education and a chance for opportunities. Being located in the city, this is perfect for opportunity as business is booming and more available. In contrast, Kutztown is not located in an area with much opportunity for the business men and women who seek internships and jobs. The second reason for transferring to Temple is the business program they offer in comparison to Kutztown's. Temple University's Fox School of Business is one of the largest, most comprehensive business programs in the nation. As a student who wants nothing but success, I want to be a part of that program.

My goal for these last few years of college is to declare my major, explore my major, learn new things, gain life experience and insight on what I want to do with my life. As of now, I have a strong interest in the business career field. The salary, tasks, and job outlook for this career is what caught my interest. I've taken a few businesses courses through high school so I had a bit of knowledge on the business world prior to college. At Kutztown University, I have taken almost all my business core classes so I am now very interested in what my future business classes in Marketing will be like. Not only are the courses I have taken influencing my career but my father also has made a huge impact on my career choices. My father has been a big influence on my career choice. I've seen him become very successful in this field as I've grown up and I admire that. My goal is to become successful just like him and provide for my kids just as he provided for my family. Transferring to Temple University, I hope I can gain lots of experience in this particular field and become a successful business woman after graduating from the university.

Enrolling into Temple University is not only a life changing experience for me, but is also an important goal of mine. If I were accepted to the Temple University community, I can offer more than being just an average student. I'm a very open and well-rounded individual who loves working with others and helping out in the community. Seeing people smile and helping people is my number one priority in life. I would love to be involved with sports events, charities, community service, study groups, and any event that takes place within the school. Being a dancer, I would love to show spirit for my school and become a part of a Temple University dance group. I want to take my studies seriously while achieving academic goals and go above and beyond what I used to consider average. I'm very reliable and responsible when it comes to getting things done. I make other people a priority when it comes to business or helping the community. These characteristics of mine are just stepping stones to something great in the future.

After completing my education towards a Marketing degree at Temple University, I hope to have acquired the necessary knowledge base and intelligence to acquire a top-notch business degree and then take part in a respectable company where I will continue to evolve personally and as a businesswoman. I also want to continue my education and achieve a Master's degree at Temple's MBA program. In time, I hope to be behind the unraveling of the crisis that is currently relapsing our economy and to become a huge part of a booming business, where I will have the opportunity to provide my family with a secure and thriving home environment, similar to or better than that of my own. I believe I have the intellectual ability to complete a Bachelor's Degree and even a Master's degree. I have illustrated my drive, ambition, and dedication to do this in many ways. I am capable of working as part of a team as I have developed the initiative and ability to follow instructions and have the will of working with others. I strongly believe that I will be a very successful individual; therefore a place at your university will allow me to achieve my aims and goals in life.
chalumeau /  
Let me know if my feedback is helpful. I corrected some grammatical errors in the first few paragaphs. Overall, the essay structure is clear and well organized. What areas of business fascinate you? Retail? Financial? International?

Home / Undergraduate / 'resilience and determination from NY' -Transfer Personal Statement Temple University