'responsibility for my average grades' - TRANSFER TO TEXAS A&M ESSAY

hawita 1 / -  
I choose to live by choices, not by chances. To make changes, not excuses. To be motivated, not manipulated. To be useful, not used. To excel, not compete. I choose self-esteem, not self-pity. I choose to listen to my inner voice and not to the random opinion of others.

Truth is what I am trying to say is very simple. I am simply an African girl from a rich family who simply wants to better her third-world country that she gladly calls home. From a very young age, I have wanted to be a civil engineer just like my father. My father is an amazing civil engineer and he has approximately 300 people working for him. Being the only one of his five children to share his passion, I know I must not fail him, I cannot fail him. I believed building better roads would facilitate the lives of many men, women and children. Back in 2010 I started my college experience and I was very excited. I started my schooling at the University of Houston. I was much exited and the school had a very good academic program; yet, I transferred after my first semester because I fell lonely. I could not fit in. Most of the time I felt homesick and a part of me was not interested in really working toward what I loved, engineering. I was only sixteen at the time, just a girl trying to become a woman in a place so unfamiliar. Soon I saw myself transferring to my sister's college for my spring semester (my current school). My transfer was strictly non-academic because I was well aware that the engineering program was new; thus, I knew the professor would not be as experienced. As I got to Benedictine College, I felt at home. I was around my sister and many of my old friends were enrolled at the school. I was surrounded by people I knew, a small familiar campus and little did I know, I soon lost track of my engineering ambitions. My grades soon started to slip as my transcript would justify. I have always prided myself for being a very goal oriented person, but now I knew I was losing track of where I came from and where I was trying to. It became very clear to me then. Benedictine College was an exceptional college; however, it just was not the college for me. Now my reasons for transferring to Texas A&M are entirely academic because as my research have shown, Texas A&M is one of the top school in Texas offering nationally ranked civil engineering program. I have made many good friends at Benedictine College, and I have studied with some wonderful professors. By attending Texas A&M I hope to broaden and deepen my knowledge in civil engineering, to participate in more summer field work, to volunteer at local construction site, and eventually go on to graduate school in civil engineering. However, I do have one non-academic reason for being interested in Texas A&M. I originally applied to Benedictine College because it was comfortable but now I am looking forward to pushing myself to experience places that aren't quite so familiar and I believe the environment of would be one. I am convinced I can now meet the academic challenges of Texas A&M. I know I would grow at there, and your program in civil engineering perfectly matches my academic interests and professional goals. I take full responsibility for my average grades or bad grades as some might say; however, I will be grateful if I was given another chance to prove myself at the University of Texas A&M.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  

Your introduction is excellent, it really catches my eye, and draws me into reading more.

The truth is, what I am trying to say is very simple. I am simply an African girl from a rich family who simply wants to better her third-world country that she gladly calls home.

My father is an amazing (talented?) civil engineer, and he has approximately 300 people working for him.

Being the only one of his five children to share his passion, I know I must not fail him, I cannot fail him.

I started my schoolingeducation at the University of Houston. I was muchexcitedandbecause the school had a very good academic program; yet, I transferred after my first semester because I felt lonely.

Soon after, I saw myselftransferred to my sister's college for mythe spring semester (my current school).

Home / Undergraduate / 'responsibility for my average grades' - TRANSFER TO TEXAS A&M ESSAY