ESSAY REVIEW: where you are perfectly content?; 'help for the benefit of others'

jennifermiranda 1 / -  
Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content. What do you do or experience there, and why is it meaningful to you?
(250-650 words)

Since the day we are welcomed into this world, we are taught to find amity and happiness. Various individuals may find their peace early in their lives, whilst others may not obtain it until they have become adults. Some may consider their peace to be on a vacation, or quietly reading a book. I, however, have found this peace in the act of utilizing my power to help for the benefit of others.

Two years in the past, I met with my "happy place" in Lafayette, Louisiana as I participated in a national event known as Strut Your Mutt, which focuses on saving the lives of homeless dogs and cats across the United States. The day varied from dog walks, running, and a festival with the purpose of gaining prosperity for animal rescue shelters. Being given the opportunity to be one's reason to obtain a smile that stretches out from eye-to-eye sets me in my content environment. Not only had the actions I had taken two years ago allowed for the happiness of individuals, but allowed for the saving of an innumerable amount of lives.

As that first experience came to its finalization, the yearning for the new commencement blossomed. My alarm continues to ring weekly, directing me towards the local animal shelter. The joy expressed in animals as I begin to approach them is what I await for. Having the opportunity to assuage one's day, as I am present at the animal shelter-either by bathing them or feeding them-reflects in my contentment. Observing the smile and exhilaration as they run after a ball thrown across the open yard, containing the power to give someone who was once deemed helpless, relief gladdens me.

Not only is that serenity found in having the capability to improve-and save-an animal's life, but also individuals. Taking part in organizations that emphasize in serving the community in a copious amount of manners, I have been given the privilege to help those in need. Though the general sense of creating a positive change in the community is what I crave, it is impossible to overlook a remarkable night for individuals with special needs. As Prom-season approached, not only did high schools began celebrating, but those who are rarely thought of by the public did too. Individuals with disabilities such as Down syndrome and Schizophrenia attended a Prom created for them, in which I contentedly took part of. Viewing the transition from their isolation and difference in public places, to an event in which they become joyful and liberated. Taking the hand of a person in seclusion and directing them towards the dance floor, where they can be enjoy one night creates my profound happiness.

Each individual has their own experiences, each affecting them differently. Though some may find contentment in personal activities, others reflect on it in the joy of others. Being able to alleviate one's day-animal or person-directs me towards what the world knows as "my happy place." Helping the helpless, when the song is over and the one who was once a stranger with a disability hugs and blissfully sobs on your shoulder, thanking you for the time spent with them, those are the moments I continue to cherish.
okdeerpass 5 / 12 2  
have found this peace in the act of utilizing my power to help for the benefit of others.

.... help others obtain benefits.

to an event in which they become joyful and liberated.

...became joyful and...

Taking the hand of a person in seclusion and directing them towards the dance floor, where they can be enjoy one night creates my profound happiness.

...can be enjoy one night create ....

Home / Undergraduate / ESSAY REVIEW: where you are perfectly content?; 'help for the benefit of others'