"Rewards"; MY KALAMAZOO SUPP - favorite childhood book and why

impatient101 8 / 17 3  
PLEASE HELP ME IMPROVE THIS ESSAY IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR FEEDBACKS. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Filling out college applications is time consuming and requires a lot of thought. Let's go back to a time when learning was a pure joy. Please tell us your favorite childhood book and why.

My favorite childhood book was called "Rewards". It was a collection of many short stories and poems. I got it as a birthday present from my aunt for my 7th birthday. I remember my aunt reading to me the first story from the book. It was "Down down the mountain" by Ellis Credle. As a child, I would be completely enthralled and mesmerized by the contents of the book. It was perhaps the way my aunt read it to me that I would be imagining every single word that she would translate in Nepali and utter from her mouth. I was awed by the wonderful pictures displayed all over the book. The story taught me not only to work hard to achieve something but also to be generous to others. I loved the part when Hetty and Hank won the competition for the biggest turnip and finally buy shiny new shoes for themselves and their family. The other story that really fascinated me and I would read frequently as I grew older was "Evan's corner" by Elizabeth Starr Hill from the book. I remember demanding a separate room for myself after reading the story. At that time, there were only 3 rooms in my house with five members in the family. It was impossible for my family to give a single room to a 10 year old girl. But, I was persistent for a while only to get denied. So, I decided to make a small corner like Evan's under a table in the room. I would drape clothes all over the table and enjoy my space inside. I would keep the space very clean and slowly I didn't mind cleaning the whole room as well. I even brought a goldfish being inspired by various acts of Evan from the book. However, I didn't know how to take care of it and the goldfish died very soon. I decided to bring a new goldfish and take care of it properly. My aunt taught me to take care of it and the goldfish survived for 2 more years. Till that time, I'd already gotten a separate room.

Other stories and poems like "Mr. Picklepaws's Popcorn", "Just like Abraham Lincoln", "Meet Mike Takino", "Different" and many more would keep me engaged all day during my holidays. These were the stories that helped me grow up as I would relate to each of these stories in one way or another. After all these years, I still have the book as my favorite keepsake.
niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
..from my aunt forduring my 7th birthday...

The other storyfrom the book that really fascinated me and I would read frequently as I grew older was "Evan's corner" by Elizabeth Starr Hill from the book .

I remember me demanding a separate room for myself after reading the story.

to a 10- year old girl.

However, I didn't know how to take care of it and,so the goldfish died very soon.

-- Inappropriate conjunction. Instead of using "and", use "so" since you stated about what happened to the goldfish.

As a result, I decided to bring a new goldfish and take care of it properly.

-- I add that transition word to better connect your idea from the preceding sentence.

Home / Undergraduate / "Rewards"; MY KALAMAZOO SUPP - favorite childhood book and why