Rice Supplement / Why applying to school? Mathematical Economic Analysis

SpiritedAwayLOL 1 / -  
With the understanding that the choice of academic school you indicated is not binding, explain why you are applying to that particular school of study----2000

Business was not in my blood. It was not until I worked at my uncle's electronic store in China at age thirteen that I first dabbled in the business world. Entrusted with negotiating with customers, closing sales and collecting money, I gradually developed my interest, though my understanding was still vague. Urging myself to explore more facets of business, I founded DECA, an international business club, at our school. Like a businesswoman who tailor her marketing strategies to customers, I introduced different hands-on activities, such as role playing, mock interviews, and simulated selling, to keep out club members active. I still vividly remember our simulated selling, in which "dealers" sold shirts while "customers" bought them at the lowest cost possible. By competing with each other to see who was the most capable of negotiating, we saw how sharp thinking reached fruition.

With my analytic mind in solving Mathematical problems as well as my DECA encounter and internships at an international company and Farmer's insurance, I would like to acquire a systematic knowledge of business by majoring in a Mathematical Economic Analysis in the School of Social Science and minoring in business at Rice. Learning about Economics, I can apply those economic theory and quantitative methods to analyze business enterprises and the product markets. The research opportunity with Houston-based partners on research and design projects that address real-world problems and issues facing the Houston community met my goal of applying the theoretical knowledge into practice, and will prepare me for my future graduate study in economics or business at Rice's Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business.

What motivated you to apply to Rice University? Please be specific and limit your response to 200 words.--1500 (200 words)
Houston, Texas, a wonderland, is where the first ranked University for quality of life is situated-Rice University.

This cosmopolitan campus can bestow me with the opportunities to immerse in a diverse and accepting community and become a global citizen by studying abroad. Given those established international perspective, global ambition and hands-on experiences, I can my have more freedom to pursue my aspiration in international business.

I hope for Rice to become another home. It is a university with a small student body. Instead of going to a bigger school and just be a number, I want to come to Rice, make close friends, and get to know people well. The tight-knit feel, and the stunning student to teacher ratio of 5:1 suits my best interests.

With Rice's Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business school in my sights, I also want to leverage the unique geographical advantage of Rice, such as the myriad offerings of jobs and internships provided by the Fortune 500 companies, to embrace the immense into the real world and hone my skills in the business world.

The access to Mediterranean feel of the Spanish-styled architectures, the rigorous yet nurturing environment, the responsible professors who deeply care about their students, and the advising system that provides its students a very conducive environment for studying all make Rice a road to self-actualization and a paradise with no upper limit.
fishes 1 / 10 1  
"Business was not in my blood. "
Unless you want to elaborate on that more, this sentence is unnecessary.

"Like a businesswoman who tailors "

"can apply those economic theories and quantitative methods to analyze business enterprises and the product markets. The research opportunities with Houston-based partners on research and design projects that address real-world problems and issues "

Overall, I think you sound very professional and smart, but definitely reread it because there are more grammatical errors. I'm applying too, so good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Rice Supplement / Why applying to school? Mathematical Economic Analysis