I would rather risk my grade than my integrity & passion -UC Prompt

melanieleng 2 / 3  
I particularly love to photograph the elaborate jumps, spins, and lifts of the in figure skating, my favorite sport. This was the foundation for my portfolio concentration, with the goal of capturing a paradox of beauty through artistic body movements. Although sports photography was unheard of in the realm of AP Art, I was adamant that my eagerness would be enough of a platform to work off of.

However, my teacher opposed, arguing that I hardly stood a chance against the AP panel. She unwillingly gave me the option of photoshopping strange backgrounds and coloration onto the figure skaters. This seemed like a drastic change in direction of the concept that I had: a simplistic, yet telling portrayal of motion photography. I believe that photoshop takes away from an artist's true value; otherwise, anyone toying around with this tool can claim to be a so-called photographer. I crave the learning process of struggling and experiment with varying levels of exposure, shutter speed, and angles. It is the satisfaction of accomplishment that justifies all the time and effort needed to succeed independent of photoshop.

The overbearing teacher attempted to restrict my unorthodox ways by giving assignments that counted toward my grade. I refused to be discouraged by projects of photographing garlic and bicycle tires, trying to convert to these topics. Unfortunately, all that could be produced was boredom, as I lacked connections to these subjects. In the end, the crucial decision to photograph as I pleased, regardless of how it affected my grade, did damage my marks; however, expressing myself was more important to me because art represents the simplest outlet of my voice, and for that freedom to be dictated seemed to hinder personal imagination. Without disrespecting the teacher, I used the courage that stemmed from the confined artist within to take a firm stance against her narrow-scoped perspective and defended my artistic independence.

Photographs are accurate snapshots of a scene, using nature's beauty to evoke emotions, while photoshopped pictures are digitally manipulated to alter the true perception of the image. I realize that computer-altered art can be done tastefully and inspire new forms of media; however, it discredits the fundamental process of photography. I am aware of my passionate personality, often choosing to trust my guts and taking leaps of faith. Even if that means that I pursue my own successes and failures, I take pleasure and pride in knowing that I'm following my heart and learning from my mistakes.
adamkot /  
and lifts of the in figure skating

and experimenting

did damage my marks

Just a few easy fixes but other then that good essay
phenotype 2 / 8  
I particularly love to photograph the elaborate jumps, spins, and lifts of the in figure skating, my favorite sport. -- If you have words to spare, you should elaborate on why you love to photograph ice skating or why it is your favorite sport. If your passion comes through in explaining this, the rest of the essay consequently becomes more powerful.

The overbearing teacher attempted to restrict my unorthodox ways by giving assignments that counted towards my grade.

I refused to be discouraged by projects of photographing garlic and bicycle tires, trying to convert to these topics. -- Awkward wording

In the end, the crucial decision to photograph as I pleased, regardless of how it affected my grade, did damage my marks; however, expressing myself was more important to me because art represents the simplest outlet of my voice, and for that freedom to be dictated seemed to hindered my personal imagination.

Photographs are accurate snapshots of a scene, using nature's beauty to evoke emotions, while photoshopped pictures are digitally manipulated to alter the true perception of the image. I realize that computer-altered art can be done tastefully and inspire new forms of media; however, it discredits the fundamental process of photography. -- I think this would fit better in the second paragraph because it elaborates on why you decided against photoshop.

I am aware of my passionate personality, often choosing to trust my guts and take leaps of faith. Even if that means that I pursue my own successes and failures, I take pleasure and pride in knowing that I'm following my heart and learning from my mistakes.

------

I really like your essay, and I think its admirable that you stood up for what you believe in as many people don't have that ability. Good luck in the rest of your college application process. (:
karan11295 5 / 42  
Nice essay, it's good that you stood up for yourself. But what attracts you towards ice skating specifically? Why is it, and not garlic and bicycle tires, your passion? Try to say that too in your essay. But the essay is still well written. You come off as independent and strong willed in it which is a good thing. Best of luck

Home / Undergraduate / I would rather risk my grade than my integrity & passion -UC Prompt