The road less traveled challenged me because i hate it - common app supplement

MayaAngelou 2 / 2  
Doing a supplement for UVA looking for any type of feedback please be brutally honest I'm no stranger to criticism
the prompt was - What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way?

TWO roads diverged in yellow wood, but I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. The road not taken has been my favorite poem ever since I read it in 6th grade. Its not my favorite because of its relatable message, or clever use of diction. It's my favorite poem because I hate it. The poem itself is quite simple a man has two difficult choices, and has to choose one of them. What really perturbs me at first in this poem is that the traveler describes both roads as "equally worn" but at the end he says that choosing one has made all the difference. The poem was simple enough, but why did the traveler feel better after taking the road less traveled. My teachers explanation would never satiate me. This poem pushed me to really read into texts, and find underlying meanings. The traveler choice was not better than the other one, in fact there was no right choice at all which was what made it so difficult in the first place. By reading more into a poem that I hated I grew to love, and understand not only Robert Frosts poetry, but also to gain a better appreciation of poetry in general. I found the poems message wasn't about making a choice, but rather about looking back on the choices we've made, and having enough confidence to tell ourselves the decisions we've made are the right ones. We forget previous provocations, and say the road less traveled has made all the difference.
Nasir, you don't really answer the prompt. You should mention the poem but title and present quotes that have had a great impact upon you. Then relate the discussion that you presented in a manner that shows how the poem affected you to either take action or simply feel and develop a different point of view on a topic that used to be of no importance to you. The statement that you have presented is confusing and hard to understand because there is no real basis for the introduction of your discussion nor a title to the poem which the reader might be able to look up as a reference in order to better understand what you are trying to present in your discussion. This essay /statement just does not work the way it is supposed to. You need to revise it.
leiya0920 5 / 23 9  
I agree with the previous response. How did the poem's idea/ concept/ theme impact you? Did it stir something in your heart? Did it excite you? Did those words spur you to take action or did it anger you? Instead of analyzing the poem, tell us how the poem has affected YOU! You speak about how the poem made you read other literary d pieces. But that doesn't relate to the content of Robert Frost's poem at all.

I'll be around if you need any help!

Home / Undergraduate / The road less traveled challenged me because i hate it - common app supplement