Essay on Roadblocks and Family influence

Nyappy 1 / -  
These are the first two responses to my Personal statement for UCF

My limit is of 500, I wrote 493.
I am unsure if Ive been able to state my hardships and family influence in the correct manner of if there is anything I must remove.

First two questions;

1. If there has been some obstacle or "bump in the road," in your academic or personal life, please explain the circumstances.
2. How has your family history, culture or environment influenced who you are?

It only took a single week to teach me what life really means to me. It took me a single week to realize that a single act could put at risk all that I had worked for, all that I aspired to become. In the past, I took a dangerous approach that could have put an end to my life, my dreams, immersing my parent's life in sorrow. The series of Unfortunate events that took place ranged from constant bullying, rejection from those at School, both verbal and physical. My body had been damaged physically, but the damage they had done to me internally is perhaps the only Hardship that continues to haunt me to this day. My recent movement to the United States had served as my gate to opportunity as well as a new beginning in my social life, though my life took an unprecedented turn after moving here. I was treated as a reclusive individual though I was quite the opposite, I yearned for Friendships. Mentally, I was driven to commit suicide at some point, causing my stay at a Rehabilitation center. That "Single" week was enough to teach me the lesson of a lifetime. I interacted with individuals with no parents, no friends, no education; no moral values what so ever. I began to doubt my position and question why I was truly there. I came to the realization that I had been blessed with a Family that cares and my struggle had taught me how to become a stronger person rather than let it weaken me. I deal with the memory of those whom I shared a stay for and this hardship taught me awareness of others life circumstances and emotions as well as Judgment.

The moment I boarded the plane headed towards Miami, Florida I took my last glance at the land that had provided me with a home, family and cultural background. My twelve-year stay in Paraguay had shown me the life of a third world country, the ignorance of the higher classes and corruption of the public, overall. My family became the biggest influence towards my career goals, as well as shaping the sort of person I've become by now. My grandfather of course, became a role model, a figure I looked up upon. He's views, he's manners, his perspective of life differed from that of the rest of the family. He spoke to me, even at an early age, of the struggles of Middle class society, pressuring me to do my best at school. His experience and life works proved to me that he was no ordinary individual, he shared no interest in trivial matters, but was captivated on the course that not only the country, but the planet itself is headed for. Today, his views and his words shape me into an individual who places education and family above anything else. His words became aphorisms, statements which I still believe to this day.
essayhelp 4 / 8  
Start with "It only took a single week to learn what life really means to me"

Home / Undergraduate / Essay on Roadblocks and Family influence