Robotics and software engineering really take my interest. USC supplement essay

Bennyoooo 8 / 19 8  
Describe how you plan to pursue your academic interests at USC. Please feel free to address your first- and second-choice major selections. (250 word limit)

My motivation to apply USC Viterbi School of Engineering

Robotics and software engineering really take my interest, and the USC Viterbi School of Engineering offers me various opportunities to pursue my interests. The department of computer science has programs and courses that give me academic atmosphere and resources to focus on my interests. I will take CSCI 170 and CSCI 210L to strengthen my capacity of programming. By taking CSCI 310 , I will grasp skills and methodology necessary for software engineering. In CSCI 360L and CSCI 445L, I can also learn how to program for robots, and make them smarter.

Besides learning in classrooms, learning in practice is also in my plan. In CS department, I am going to participate in Robotics Research Lab to learn robotic while working on it in a group. I will take part in Center for Systems and Software Engineering, in which I will have a chance to lucubrate software systems with world class faculties. I will also find my place in Mixed Reality Group in Institute for Creative Technology to explore techniques to improve the fluency of human-robotics interactions.

In addition, a myriad of academy-related student activities in Viterbi also help me to pursue my academic interest. I will participate in Hack House to improve my coding skills and at the same time empower social progress with my creativity. I'm also sure I will join VSi2 to meet many friends who share the same interest and establish my team in BizTech and make some innovative software projects. (246)

Please give me some suggestions, whether on content, word choise or grammar.
Jiang, first of all, don't use archaic words such as lucubrate when you can simply say "write or study" at night. I know, it is a big word that you probably came across in some program or thesaurus. Just because it sounds like an impressive word does not mean it will impress the reviewer. If the word is from ancient English, such as in this case, the reviewer will most likely not be highly familiar with the word since it is not in common use in our modern times. So keep your language and vocabulary current. Stick to 20th century to 21st century words only.

Next, it is not enough for you to just rattle off the classes and clubs that you exist for your major and then say you will join in. It will be best if you let the reviewer know that you have a solid idea of how you plan to pursue your academic interests. For example, if you have a plan to build a robot that does something specific, then use that as the basis of how you will pursue your academic interests at the university. Everything from the academic to the extra curricular should directly relate to that development so that the reviewer will understand that all of your time at the university will be properly accounted for and used in the pursuit of academic and practical application excellence.
OP Bennyoooo 8 / 19 8  
Thank you! Does it seem better?

When I provided volunteer service for the seniors in my community, I realized that they can't use smart phones adeptly, so they can hardly get advantage from the development of technology. I know that is because the high-tech products are not smart enough to interact with humans.Therefore, in college, I'd like to focus on Robotics and software with better human-computer interaction. The USC department of computer science has programs and courses that give me academic resources to focus on my interests. I will take CSCI170 and CSCI210L to strengthen my capacity of programming. By taking CSCI310 , I will grasp skills and methodology necessary for software engineering. In CSCI360L and CSCI445L, I can also learn how to program for robots, and make them smarter.

Besides learning in classrooms, learning in practice is also in my plan. I am going to participate in Robotics Research Lab to learn robotic while working on it in a group. I will take part in Center for Systems and Software Engineering, in which I will have a chance to study software systems with world class faculties.

A myriad of academy-related student activities in Viterbi also help me to pursue my academic interest. I will participate in Hack House to improve my coding skills and at the same time empower social progress with my creativity. I'm also sure I will join VSi2 to meet many friends who share the same interest and establish my team in BizTech and make some innovative software projects.
Jiang, what is the relationship of the senior citizens and their cellphone use with the rest of your essay? When you present a topic for discussion such as you did in the opening statement of your essay, you must relate all of your discussions to that situation throughout. You have to bring the discussion full circle by referring back to the problem of the senior citizens and their cellphone use as something that you will pursue as an academic interest at USC through the use of the robot lab or something. I am sure you know which club or research center there will best suit my suggestion, use it. The addition of the senior citizen predicament at the start of the essay made the essay interesting to read. So don't let go of that discussion. Use it to further develop a more unique response to the prompt. You are getting there. Don't stop now.
masonn8 3 / 7 4  
I'm also working on the USC essays and I had a few suggestions. Admissions knows what classes you need to take for your major so I don't think that as important. Focus on specific goal that you have. What resources does the school have that you want to take advantage of? Maybe you could mention a specific professor or lab that you want to be involved with

Home / Undergraduate / Robotics and software engineering really take my interest. USC supplement essay