'Rocky Horror' - Pomona Supplement Essay - what i do for fun

jocelynt44 1 / 3  
Although it may appear to the contrary, we do know that people have a life beyond what they do to get into college. Tell us about an experience you've had outside of your formal classroom and extracurricular activities that was just plain fun and why.

We arrived just ten minutes before the doors were set to close, surrounded by ladies in evening gowns and splendidly tuxedoed men. The stares could be felt on our sequined and lacy bodies as we hurried inside the warm theater and prepared to be deflowered. We were virgins, after all, to the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

A few months earlier my mother had introduced me to the whole phenomena that was Rocky Horror and I had quickly become obsessed, so when I learned that the Old Globe Theater in Balboa Park was putting on a production, I knew I had to go. I quickly gathered a group of friends and began strategizing. We would all meet at the In-N-Out parking lot to help each other with makeup and costumes, and then ride downtown together. Getting ready for the show that night with our fishnets, glitter, and props was an experience in itself. All of the glares from unsuspecting mothers as they shielded their children from our spandex wrapped bodies made the event feel increasingly taboo. We transformed into previously unknown beings able to hold our own with Dr. Frank-N-Furter, Magenta, and Riff Raff; we became the aliens.

On the drive there we received many odd stares, waves, and honks, and managed to somehow get lost at the other side of the park. We didn't really care though because of the hilarity of seeing people's faces as we walked to the theater with our neon glitter eye shadow, high heels, and slightly revealing costumes. It was enough to set us off cackling like hyenas all the way to ticket booth. The sensuous talking lips welcomed us in from the screen, warmed us up with some crude jokes, and reminded us that the theater was providing props; any items thrown at the cast would be kept or hurled back if they weren't good enough. And then, it began.

We were assaulted, violated, horrified, set on fire and in love. Surrounded by yells from the audience and catcalls for Rocky, with everyone singing and dancing to the Time Warp, the experience was incredible. The cast responded and actually interacted with us while also keeping the play moving, albeit with minor pauses to yell back obscenities. My lovely hot pink lace-up fishnets received many compliments from the somewhat intoxicated lady (easily in her 80's) seated next to me and the ushers whipped out their own lighters while singing along to "There's A Light".

As the play came to its end, a sense of longing and bittersweet peace came over me. Longing at the prospect of attending another showing, yet despair at the knowledge that never again would I be able to live this night with all of its happenings. Sure, we all agreed that a midnight showing was needed, but it would never be exactly how that night was. It is all right though because even if the night is over, never to be recreated, I now have the hope and challenge of an even better night to come.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Awesome! What a great subject to choose, you have good writing skills. I wonder one thing: the theater that you went to-- it was a fancy theater?

You say ...surrounded by ladies in evening gowns and splendidly tuxedoed men.
I, as the reader, wonder why they were dressed up so fancy. It must be a theater with different stages and different shows...in my area Rocky Horror is typically shown in a movie theater with a stage in front of it.

We transformed into previously unknown beings able to hold our own with Dr. Frank-N-Furter, Magenta, and Riff Raff; we became the aliens.
This sounds funny, you may want to re-phrase this sentence-- unknown beings?

We were assaulted, violated, horrified, set on fire and in love.
You may want to change the words to "tone it down" in this sentence- it sounds harsh (I know what they do at Rocky!) But assaulted, violated... I don't know about that.

...despair at the knowledge that never again would I be able to live this night with all of its happenings. Sure, we all agreed that a midnight showing was needed, but it would never be exactly how that night was. Don't end the sentence in "was" and you basically repeat yourself in these sentences.

For your final sentence, try this:

It is all right though, because even though that night is over , never to be recreated,I now have a visionthe hope andchallenge of an even better night to come.

At the end, you may want to "sprinkle on" one more Rocky reference, to add character to the paper. High Five! Excellent topic (congrats on losing your Rocky V)
OP jocelynt44 1 / 3  
Thank you so much! it was due yesterday so I ended up having my english teacher help but she gave basically the same suggestions and it turned out much better than this :) and yes the old globe is usually a very fancy event so I was a little shocked they did rocky horror but it was still absolutely amazing!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Rocky Horror' - Pomona Supplement Essay - what i do for fun