'Roland and adults in general' - someone who has made an impact on your life

engent 1 / -  
I can't say that my rather sudden decision to apply to the nursing home was a surprise to either my parents or myself, because even though I'm usually quite practical I tend to also be quite spontaneous on the oddest of matters. And my newest burst of inspiration was to acquire a job so that I could take up guitar lesson (regardless of the fact that I have no musical talents what so ever) and somehow connect with my inner rock star. So after a talk with the parental units I was turning in my online application and not expecting anything to occur, for what kind of place would hire a ,then ,16 year girl with no serving experience in this economy?

Imagine my surprise when 3 days later I got a call from the man that metaphorically ripped my rose tinted glasses right off of my head. Roland was the serving staff manger, a rather unimpressive man; in fact I would describe him as short and hyperactive. With brown hair in a crew cut, and looking almost suspiciously like Mario, down to the mustache, he was what I thought of as the epitome of a cool boss. I, unlike many other middle classed teens, am willing to admit to being sheltered, and along with that innocence was a preconceived notion that all adults were responsible and to respected. So imagine my surprise when I met someone who seemed to defy my every expectation for a man in such a position of power, in a good way of course!

Or at least that was what I kept telling myself, innocence and denial are made of pretty heavy material, but Roland's actions could pierce through any barrier. It started off with little things that I didn't really notice at first, "the hair nets are all gone? Let me get more from storage, oh, Roland forgot to order them, that's alright then." But gradually my eyes were forced open, and I had to meet the glare of the sun head on, it was so blinding. I don't know if it's because of my upbringing or just my personality but it was hard for me to really see Roland in a negative light. He's not evil or even bad in the traditional sense; his deeds are the ones that come from a man that lacked the personality to be in his position. Laziness, forgetfulness, as well as a tendency for compulsive lying are not a good combination for a manager's position.

Gullible might as well be listed as a synonym of innocent, but there's only so much any person can take before doubt sets in, liberally helped along-of course-by complaining coworkers and residents alike. I was forced to tell many a people that we were "out of [insert food here], and that it would be ordered and shipped by next Monday", all because my boss forgot to come in and check the inventory. I was a proficient excuse maker by then, but it left a bitter tang to repeat those same words over and over again.

No matter what people say, disappointment to me is the worst feeling in the world especially if it's aimed at you. That more than anything else, changed how I saw Roland and adults in general. He inadvertently stripped me of my armor against this cruel world. But as Terry Goodkind says "Knowledge is a weapon. [And] I intend to be formidably armed." Despite everything, I am still thankful I met someone like Roland; what better way to learn a lesson than to experience it? I'm going to end this by saying Roland motivates me, not because I look up to him, but rather to make sure I don't end up like him.

please help? I'm not sure how to make the ending powerful or if i need to put in more about Roland (and cut out some of the beginning)
KhanhZ 5 / 131 7  
Hello, Tiffany)
I think your essay is quite OK, you can add more details(not necessary I think), unless there is a word limit.

.. because even though I'm usually quite practical I tend to also be quite a bit spontaneous

And one of my newest recent bursts of inspiration was to application for a job, which would allow meso that I couldto fundtake up guitar lessons myself

and somehow connect withunleash my inner rock star.

... to occur, for what kind ofplacecompany would hire a ,then ,16 year girl with no serving experience in this (what this?) economy

Imagine my surprise , when 3 days later I got

a ratherunimpressive man

I thought of as the epitome of a cool boss

a kinda dissonance

. I, unlike many other middle- classed teens, am willing to admit to being sheltered( I think better to write: heavily dependent on parents , that's more clear), and along with that innocence was a preconceived notion that all adults were responsible and to respected. So imagine my surprise (you used that before) when I met someone who seemed to defy my every expectation for of a man( you expect smnfor a dinner ) in such a position of power, in a good way of course!

Or at least that was what I kept telling myself,innocence( naivete) and denial are made of pretty heavy material ,(what do you mean)

a man that lacked the personality qualities to be in his position.

I was forced to tell many a people that we were "out of [insert food here],( you should've mentioned before what job you got )

He inadvertently stripped me of my armor against this cruel world.( what armor? if innocence, then I think it doesn't kinda suit to context)

I'm going to end this by saying Roland motivates me, not because I look up to him, but rather to make sure I don't end up like him.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Roland and adults in general' - someone who has made an impact on your life