Role-playing games + Manga: (1)My personality, (2)My Experience = UI@UC Essays

Marisamanga 3 / 7  
- Essay 1: In an essay of 300 words or less, please discuss your academic interests and/or professional goals.

When my family and I moved from Florida we arrived just in time to finish my eighth grade year at the nearby middle school and start high school after the summer. During my freshman year of high school I retained most of my timidity and I was prone to unwarranted crying when confused. When I look back on how my childhood was there is one word that comes to mind, confusion. I was a very confused person and till I reached high school I don't believe I had a pronounced personality. It was through my experiences in high school and the encouragement of my parents that I am who I am today.

My parents instilled in me proper values but little did I know about implementing them to my advantage in society. As I became more and more involved at school I began meeting various types of people and becoming more aware and less confused about my surroundings. The people who I familiarize and enjoy the most are either the "gamers" or the "misfits," as people would call them. While I don't particularly fall in that clique by appearance I am categorized by my personality into the gamer or nerd clique. I am not even a casual user I just know the stats of the games and speak with my friends about them. Though the rare occasions when I do play it is most often a role-playing game (RPG).

In these games I am required to strategize to win against my enemy. Often times I win due to my developed skills. I have developed these skills by combining the common sense my parents have taught me with other factors; this, in turn, creates a perfect strategy able to be used in real life and the virtual world.

My interest in computers has been boosted by these role-playing games, since most of the games were on PC. I decided that I enjoy working with computers the most when I was taking my technology related elective courses. No matter the trial I plan to work with computers and technology. For, when asked, people respond to inquiries of their job choices by saying that they initially or currently enjoy their work. That is what I hope to have someday an enjoyable life.

379/300 word count---I will shorten it later

- Essay 2: In an essay of 300 words or less, choose one extracurricular activity, work experience, or community service project from the list you provided on the application and explain why you initially chose it, why you continued with it, and how you benefited from it.

While reading Japanese comics (manga) online I noticed how there were online groups that were dedicated to scanning and translating the comics. I was amazed by the fruit of the team's efforts and resolved to join one myself. Determined, I searched for the perfect group with acceptable ethics and time management. I eventually found Easy Going Scans. This scan-translation (scanlation) group was dedicated to the creation of quality manga and reasonable releases. I quickly requested entry into the team to work as a quality checker or proofreader.

Eventually, I was assigned the role of one of the many proofreader/quality checkers. I now work as a proficient team member and I attempt to finish a project each day when my boss is available to delegate more assignments. Otherwise it is a very tranquil job which allows me to efficiently time manage, in preparation for college, with school and my other extracurricular activities. If there is one thing my parents amplify about college it is that time management is everything. I have improved my time management skills by notifying my teammates of my work, so as to gain obligation for each assignment. This, as I have noticed, increases my ability to manage time efficiently. I have continued working with this team to gain experience in collaboration as well as time management.

Throughout my high school years I have come to realize the importance of experience. With each experience comes a new understanding and with each understanding a newfound determination. My experience with scan-translation so far has given me the opportunity to enhance my skills. In college, I plan to work towards my future decision of major and become proficient in everything I take upon myself.

283/300 word count

I would like to know how these short responses flow, if there are any mistakes in the responses, if I seem to be a horrible writer (I am often told I am), if the sentences make sense...just about everything that comes to mind when reading it.
Uliquiorraxxx - / 2  
It is my unprofessional opinion that these two are good essays. I can't really find anything but a few mistakes like typing "my" instead of "me" (take note of misspellings)...

Also, when shortening the first essay make sure you maintain flow.
My parents instilled in me proper values but little did I know about implementing them to my advantage in society.

This is a very good sentence!

Hey Mr. Rogers, I think your opinion seems pretty professional!

...a perfect strategy I am able to be used use in real life and the virtual world.

Let's get rid of the vague word 'thing'
If there is one message my parents amplify about college it is that time management is everything.

In the future, please start a new thread for every different essay! :-)
OP Marisamanga 3 / 7  
cool, thxs a bunch Kevin!

Home / Undergraduate / Role-playing games + Manga: (1)My personality, (2)My Experience = UI@UC Essays