Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Runners/Challenge Scheme; Person with significant influence/ Extracurricular

dennm078 1 / -  
Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence. (500 words)

They say runners are crazy. They have to be. What sane person would willingly run mile after mile, repetition after repetition, up and down hills, around a track, in every temperature, every weather condition?

If that is the case, I was perfectly sane throughout the majority of my secondary school education. I had no particular interest in sports, and freezing cold cross country runs, muddy football games and dreaded beep tests did nothing to encourage any kind of exploration into athletics. With that in mind, I couldn't have been more surprised when, persuaded by a friend to start jogging in year nine, I actually enjoyed it. This new found enjoyment of jogging did not retract from my belief that it was practically impossible to run any distance greater than five miles and could not understand people who chose to do so. This belief could be put down to my terrible endurance and motivation. At some point during my 11th year at school, my mother started running.

Some background on my mother. Like me, she had never been particularly interested in sports while at school; entering adulthood, she avoided exercise at all costs. So when she took up running at the age of 52, most people thought she was a little crazy. Three times a week, she would pound the pavement, being overtaken by runners and pedestrians alike. After a few months of training, she convinced me to enter a five-kilometre race for charity with her, which I did. On the day of the race, I could sense her trepidation: it may as well have been an ultra marathon. We progressed around the course slowly, as I was aware she wanted to complete the entire race without stopping, despite never having run that distance before. On crossing the finish line, she cried. As I comforted my mother, it began to make some sense. She had shown that it was about pushing your body to its own personal limits, regardless of your pace or ability, regardless of the aching in your legs, the burning in your chest or your overwhelming desire to stop. In this tiny, inconsequential race, my mother had achieved something she never thought she could, and I learned something I never thought I would. Two months later, I signed up for a half marathon and never looked back (I've been told that's a big mistake in running).

The athletes of the 2012 Olympics and Paralympics only helped to expand my enjoyment of running, through incredible feats of athleticism. However, it was success on a much smaller scale, from a woman who will never break world records or stand on top of a podium, that taught me how far tenacity could get you. Because of her, I'll never lose the simple joy that can come from repeatedly putting one foot after the other, even when there are hills involved.

Call me crazy. I'll take it as a compliment.

Please briefly expand on one of your extra curricular activities or work experience (1000 characters)
I didn't know much about The Challenge Scheme when I signed up for it, only that it was a three week residential course in which you become part of a team of 12 people. The first week was spent taking part in team building activities. The bonding and teamwork that our team developed while rock climbing, abseiling and raft building was put to use during the second week, when we were tasked with raising money for a local community centre. It was incredibly gratifying to see the way this money benefited both the centre and the surrounding neighbourhood, through its impact on countless local residents. In the final week, we were able to plan and organise our own campaign. We aimed to help to educate the community on the dangers of negative stereotyping, though we probably ended up learning more from talking to residents in such a diverse an area as South East London. While the three weeks most definitely lived up to their name, I now couldn't think of a better way I could have spent my summer.

I would be so grateful for any help identifying errors or suggesting improvements.

Thanks in advance!

Home / Undergraduate / Runners/Challenge Scheme; Person with significant influence/ Extracurricular