Ryerson Image Arts (New Media) Admissions Essay - instructions are confusing

marianna3 1 / 1  
Basically, I am interested in applying for the New Media program at Ryerson for the upcoming Fall term and I need to submit a portfolio, however, the wording in the guidelines throws me off a bit and maybe someone could clarify this for me: "Carefully, *edit* a sampling of no more than FIVE EXAMPLES of your work that best represents you as an individual, your creative potential and your ability to communicate specific ideas". What I am having trouble is the "edit" part because that suggests that I am to present to them something in a sequence-they are supposed to see an original and then an edited version or the process of transformation of the work? Kind of confusing. If anyone has gone through this process and can explain the instructions in another way that would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.
TimMill 9 / 63  
Hey Anna
I have not been through this process, but I figured I'd offer my two cents. I just googled the program, and you're right, the requirement is a little unclear. I do not think that they are looking for a before and after type thing, though- I think they just mean that you can edit up your former work so that it's truly the best representation of your abilities now. They may also mean you can cut works down to the best size/length, and only show the highlights.

Like I said, I have not been through this process. A before- picture just doesn't strike me as anything that that an application committee would be really interested in seeing, though- they want to see your abilities as they are here and now.
OP marianna3 1 / 1  
Absolutely, agree with you that a before picture would not make sense-what I was thinking of was more of a before and after...sort of showing the process of editing but I guess that is what I was confused about because of the ambiguous instructions. Thank you for clarifying it for me though-I really appreciate it and can I think attempt the assignment with more confidence.
Yes, that seems like the right interpretation to me, too. It would have been nice, though, if they had simply added a phrase to clarify that they meant!! Some people are not good communicators.

:-)

Home / Essays / Ryerson Image Arts (New Media) Admissions Essay - instructions are confusing