Ryerson University - Radio and Television Arts research-based essay

owusuh001 1 / -  
Hi, I applied to Ryerson's RTA program and of course I have to do the research essay, however I am kind of stuck and need some clarification

Here are the options I can choose from
a) Canadian author and scholar, Marshall McLuhan, said: "The Medium is the message" (McLuhan, Marshall. Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man. New York: McGraw Hill, 1964). Describe what this means and why it is significant, particularly now in the Internet age.

b) Analyze with examples the effects of the conglomeration of media companies on the ability of media outlets to provide fair, balanced and comprehensive media coverage of events, local and international.

c) While regulators debate net neutrality and governments consider policies and actions to curb social communication during civil unrest, discuss the pros and cons of government control of the Internet and the ramifications of a regulated Internet.

d) Visual design plays a significant role in television and other visual media. How and why is visual design utilized to enhance sound based media such as radio and music?

e) Analyze how one "classic" pre-1980 television or radio program has influenced any or all of current media techniques, production values, storytelling and themes

f) Cross platform storytelling is becoming ubiquitous with most media projects, be they films, television shows or radio programs. Analyze a cross platform production in terms of the platforms used and the success or failure of the use of additional media platforms to attract an audience and enhance its experience.

I'm leaning towards choosing a) or e). But for e), would The Oprah Winfrey Show be a good television program to talk about? what about Star Trek? The Simpsons popped into my head as well. What do they mean by current media techniques, production values, storytelling and themes?

As for a) what is the Internet age?

Thanks again
apv 3 / 7  
I would use the option e). It seems a good one, you have a big array of shows to pick from. One good example of one show in the pre-80's is the Flinstones. I know that it is a cartoon, but it is also the second longest ran show of all time, and it was the first one to actually show to both kids and adults the relationship of a married couple. It was also a show for all family, something valuable back in the day.

Another one that comes to my mind is M*A*S*H*, I havent really seen a lot of its episodes but I have heard that it talks about topics that other shows wouldnt have talked about at that time, like the military and a lot of family issues, and it is also one of the most seen tv shows of all time (the final episode being the most seen finale of all tv shows in history)

And I think that, with Internet age, they mean the age that we are in right now, where the Internet is used for everything and where it is one of the most used media for news, entertainment, etc.

Sorry, but I am not american so I am not familiarized with the classic shows of the pre-80's.

Hope it helped!

Home / Undergraduate / Ryerson University - Radio and Television Arts research-based essay