'not a sad little creature all the time' - Letter to your roommate - Bryn Mawr

august23vn 4 / 18  
Imagine you are writing a letter to your new college roommate. In 500 words or less, describe what is most unique about your personality, your interests, and your background.

Dear Future Roommate,
Perhaps I should tell you in advance, that in the first few days we meet I am going to be extremely aloof and distant, tossing off a bunch of courtesy like "Thank you" and "May I" and "If you don't mind my asking" as in a Jane Austen's novel. If you look at me you will find out nothing, for, as my mother often said, I possess an inscrutable face, a mask that conceals the magma of emotions that may be snarling violently in my heart. I call it the Asian invisible cloak. Most of the time you would be frustrated, feeling that you could not get to me, that I am not saying what I am thinking, that I am "performing". No, I am not that sophisticated. It's just that when I'm thrown into new waters, I'm afraid. Like a wet puppy I sniff around cautiously, curling up into myself. Defense mechanism, that is. And so we are not likely to hit it off right away, but slowly, step by step, we will go in a tango.

But if you bear with me, and I hope with all my heart that you will, on one sunny day I will be reciting "A Quiet American" to you from memory, or wheedling you to watch "L'amant" with me. Together we will wander through the dusty streets of Saigon, which, 'though probably not as gorgeous as Philadelphia's, still hold a nostalgic charm, redolent of its colonial past. In some sense I'm pretty old-fashioned, since I learned of Justin Bieber only a month ago, and my favorite music band is still the Beatles. One of my teachers told me I was the only Asian girl in class. Considering the fact that all of my classmates are Vietnamese (and thus Asian), I think she was alluding to my obsession with the past. "We only treasure things that are baptized by time", said Nagasawa in Norwegian Woods, remarking upon the nature of the Oriental spirit, the nostalgic quality of it. I guess that explains a little.

Anyway, I'm not a sad little creature all the time. There will be nights that I can't sleep. And if you happen to be awake too and in an adventurous mood we will sneak out and scamper through the campus like Harry and Ron often did (although I hope that we won't encounter Mr. Filch or Mrs. Norris). Midnight picnic, in nighties and slippers, with candle lights and cupcakes. In companionable silence we lie on the grass, blowing our wishes to the starry sky. We will split, yes, after four years. We will travel, doing great things. Our lanterns are mobile. But that part of us, so young and gay and innocent, will be kept intact at Bryn Mawr forever.
ArizonaT 3 / 8  
Wow, I am really impressed by your writing skills.
This essay gives me a good idea of who you really are.
OP august23vn 4 / 18  
Thanks mate, any more comments? Please! I really need you help.
youngi 1 / 3  
And if you happen to be awake too and in an adventurous mood, we will sneak out and scamper through the campus like Harry and Ron often did

Wow, this is a very well-written essay. I love your last paragraph since I'm a HP fan too.
OP august23vn 4 / 18  
Thanks youngi. I'd love to hear from others too. And please criticise it harshly! I don't mind, seriously.
boom 2 / 9  
I really like your writing, it has such a good feel to it. I agree with the comments made above. Maybe end the letter with your name and something like Till then, ... or a memorable, funny sign off.

Home / Undergraduate / 'not a sad little creature all the time' - Letter to your roommate - Bryn Mawr